Speaker baffle test - comments please!

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Paulus87

Re: Speaker baffle test - comments please!

Post by Paulus87 »

A couple of things come to my mind:

Did you turn off (or down) the LF control on your monitors? Most monitors come with baffle step compensation built in which can usually be controlled via a LF knob on the back.

Also, your baffles are quite small. I would expect a different result if the front wall was an actual wall, as rigid and dense as possible. Whether it would result in a better or worse response is another thing, but assuming you have sufficient trapping on the rear wall, side walls and ceiling then I'd expect a very even response in the LF.
Paul
ScotcH

Re: Speaker baffle test - comments please!

Post by ScotcH »

Paulus87 wrote:A couple of things come to my mind:

Did you turn off (or down) the LF control on your monitors? Most monitors come with baffle step compensation built in which can usually be controlled via a LF knob on the back.

Also, your baffles are quite small. I would expect a different result if the front wall was an actual wall, as rigid and dense as possible. Whether it would result in a better or worse response is another thing, but assuming you have sufficient trapping on the rear wall, side walls and ceiling then I'd expect a very even response in the LF.
Yes, there is a 0,-2, -4, -6, setting on the monitors. I have it at -4 now I think, and this has calmed down the big bump a bit.

As for the baffles, yes ... I've been playing with full sheets of drywall to test with (4x8') and the results do seem better.

Now that I moved the cloud to fix the ETC curve, I have some beefing up to do on the framing, a better box for the speakers ( I can definitely hear some rattling and buzzing), then I'll put up 2 full layers of plywood for the front wall and see how that works out. I think with some final room correction eq we'll be in the ballpark for sure.