Mixing Metal and Wood Framing

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Sundown

Mixing Metal and Wood Framing

Post by Sundown »

Hi Guys,

For context, here is my home studio design and use case:

https://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/view ... =1&t=22719

I originally designed my room with wood studs on 16" centers but I learned from this site that I'm better off with 25ga metal studs on 24" centers.

I have a beam and pole in the room that I need to encase with drywall and I think wood will be much easier for that. There is also a duct that I need to enclose at the rear of the room (see image with arrows).

My homemade broadband absorbers weigh about 20 lbs. each and I plan to mount them to a 2 x 4 structure that splays and varies the air gaps behind (the first absorber is 1.5" off the wall, the next is 3" off the wall, and the last is 4.5" off the wall). I'm not entirely confident that metal studs will hold this weight, so I plan to put some wood blocking in key areas where I'm mounting acoustic treatment (see image).

Between the wood encasements and the selective blocking, it's still going to make sense to use metal studs, correct?

If nothing else it's cheaper right now, but I know that adding stiffness to the walls will reduce the STC.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Todd
gullfo

Re: Mixing Metal and Wood Framing

Post by gullfo »

there are some benefits to metal studs but if its supporting a ceiling load in a room-within-a-room then you'll need heavy(er) steel and/or wood, plus many folks are more familiar with wood framing. i generally prefer wood.

24" is the way to go if your structural design is defined to handle it.
Glenn
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

Thanks Glenn -

These are non-load bearing walls and my ceiling will be mounted to basement floor joists, so I shouldn’t have any structural problems. I just think that adding some blocking in key areas will help with attaching heavier acoustic treatment (my side arrays are probably 80 lbs spread across six horizontal feet).

I think encasing the beam and pole with wood will be a lot easier, though I’ve seen some pretty creative uses with metal.

Thanks again.

Todd
Sundown

Post by Sundown »

I completed my hybrid metal frame model tonight (along with the cold air returns and some new overhead ducting).

I need to touch up a few details but it's close.

I haven't decided if I'm going to do the furnace enclosure in metal yet.

Todd
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

also - lift the furnace and install isolation dampers to eliminate the structure transfer via the floor.
Glenn