Studio Build in Central Portugal

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

OSC46

Re: Studio Build in Central Portugal

Post by OSC46 »

Joules has started now and all the framing of the control room and the ceiling is in. He will return in a few days to start constructing the rear bass traps for the room. Slow progress but at least it is going now... Here are a few pictures..

He is busy with other projects so only working 5hrs a day and 3-4 days a week so it will not be done before mid-March most likely..
all the best
scott
OSC46

Post by OSC46 »

We have tiled the front of the building now which looks really nice. Joules has built the speaker encasements and will finish filling the front wall with sand today.. All the cables (except USB and HDMI) have been pulled from the corners and into the tubes in the control room. Here is what will go into each wall. The Dr Who one is going to be an additional CAT cable. SPK is to connect a speaker. Video is HDMI.
OSC46

Post by OSC46 »

Some good progress was made last week and the rear bass traps were put in, the floor in the control room was laid, the front wall was tiled and all the fabric frames for the control room were measured and put in place. The fabric arrived as well and the HVAV people came and put some of the pipes in.... See some new pictures.. They are away for the next 10 days though... At least we progress a bit...
scott
infiniteposse

Post by infiniteposse »

I've been away from the forum for ages, but I've started considering looking for an outside space to work in. I'm in Portugal now and I'm very excited to see someone doing a big build here. Materials are so, so different to the US and I've been very curious how you'd even go about building for soundproofing and the level of dry I'd want in a proper studio space.

I'm curious how close you've kept to your original budget of €70,000. That seems very reasonable for the level of fit and finish I'm seeing. Is that down to being in central PT and not in Lisbon or Porto or just tight planning?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your work. This forum never ceases to inspire me.
Lee
OSC46

Post by OSC46 »

infiniteposse wrote:I've been away from the forum for ages, but I've started considering looking for an outside space to work in. I'm in Portugal now and I'm very excited to see someone doing a big build here. Materials are so, so different to the US and I've been very curious how you'd even go about building for soundproofing and the level of dry I'd want in a proper studio space.

If you can afford it Joules, is the man to do it and he sources a lot of the materials from Spain and all the wood, celinet boards were from Portugal. Wood has doubled in the last couple of years though.. I had to spend 2x what we had originally budgeted on the wood.

<I'm curious how close you've kept to your original budget of €70,000. That seems very reasonable for the level of fit and finish I'm seeing. Is that <down to being in central PT and not in Lisbon or Porto or just tight planning?

Not too far off the budget actually since the building was cheaper than my original quote and Joules and I have done some things to save some money like not put a window from the control room into the live room...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your work. This forum never ceases to inspire me.
Very inspiring and a lot of knowledge here.. They should be back to work here next week. I hope.
scott