New Studio Build - Carport Conversion

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

johnyclash

New Studio Build - Carport Conversion

Post by johnyclash »

I'm converting a carport into a music space for mixing and multitrack recording/post production.

My plan is to build walls around the structure and use the roof. Currently it's an 20x20 space with 4 metal poles and a slanted roof. Sound isolation is priority as i'll be mixing and recording music late into the night. The loudest things I'll be using are a pair of 12 inch monitors for rehearsal and low wattage (5-20) with single 12 inch drivers. No drums unless it's daytime which won't matter as much.

I'd like to maximize space so ideally not building a room within a room. It would be nice to minimize costs of course :) so i'd like to be efficient when it comes to insulating the walls. I suppose one of my main questions is in regards to insulating the walls. It seems Rockwool over Roxul to help with humidity as it seems to handle it better; not too worried about fire issues.

Should I build staggered walls? Or can I just build standard walls?

I would love any advice and have already have cost estimate and a contractor to do the work and currently the plan is just to build the frame and leave the interior bare just so I can get started. I have a few pictures added below

Please let me know if I missed anything!
Hopefully this is a good amount of info to get started and look forward to your suggestions and thoughts!

Aloha from Hawaii
johnyclash

Re: New Studio Build - Carport Conversion

Post by johnyclash »

Bump. Anyone there? Maybe I did something wrong?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

sorry, was answering in GearSlutz posting.

i'd go with standard wall and room construction with lot's of nice windows. bear in mind the roof will be a major source of noise during rain.

if it's properly sealed, equipment and bodies will generate heat so cooling is needed (consider forced air cooling). and you'll need oxygen as well. so air exchange is required (think ERV in conjunction to forced air). this will need to run continuously while occupied and should change out the full room air 6-8x per hour.
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Stay away from GS Glenn, it will make your hair and teeth fall out....
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

:mrgreen:
Glenn
johnyclash

Post by johnyclash »

gullfo wrote:sorry, was answering in GearSlutz posting.

i'd go with standard wall and room construction with lot's of nice windows. bear in mind the roof will be a major source of noise during rain.

if it's properly sealed, equipment and bodies will generate heat so cooling is needed (consider forced air cooling). and you'll need oxygen as well. so air exchange is required (think ERV in conjunction to forced air). this will need to run continuously while occupied and should change out the full room air 6-8x per hour.
Haha. Yyyyeaaahhh. Good one. I’ll probably keep the windows open when I need to breathe. Some oxygen tanks might be cheaper. I guess I’ll only need windows when I’m being loud at night or I’ll just open then every once in a while. CrZy but it’ll have to do.

Yeah the rain. I plan on using some insulation in thr ceiling to combat that a little. I’ve found that close micing stuff helps a lot so I’ll have to deal.

Hi guess I was also wondering which what type of insulation to use. My plan is to use insulation and a double layer of sheet rock with green glue in between. After a decade or more of trying to make this happen in multiple homes; this is what I can do. I’m a creator and I need to create with as few barriers as possible. I cannot create on headphones any longer, it’s not fun. I cannot be afraid to sing loudly or practice at a good volume worrying about people hearing me. I just need help on what’s possible. Gotta keep the flame of creativity and passion lit. I’ve played music and worked in Stufios for over 20 years and this is a dream close to coming thru and just need to get as much isolation as possible without breaking the bank.

I’d rather die not being able to breathe than to not be able to make music when I need to.
johnyclash

Post by johnyclash »

DanDan wrote:Stay away from GS Glenn, it will make your hair and teeth fall out....
Haha. Those GS acousticians are grumpier than most live sound guys. Kidding, but I’ve been there and get it. I guess because the money is so tight and they need million dollar clients. They shoot down so many people and I get that they’re trying to be realistic with people and their expectations but they need to also understand creatives and support them or don’t answer at all I guess. Maybe just put it out there that they won’t help anyone without a75k budget

And Glenn is one of the nicer ones. At least he is doing something to support the community with his website and it’s information which keeps small budgets in mind.

Either way I’m always greatful for their knowledge and I’ve learned a lot from them even though their dream Killers
TomVan

Post by TomVan »

Not exactly like yours but similar

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... it=carport

Peace
T

Post by gullfo »

i'd get quality storm rated windows - Pella, Andersen, Martin, etc etc are all good brands and the high energy efficiency / tinted etc windows would do the trick except the rain. without a proper isolation shell it's only likely to be minor attenuation of that noise. i'd skip the GG in favor of using a 3rd drywall sheet as it's likely to be less expensive.
opening the windows is nice - esp for LF absorption 8)
Glenn
johnyclash

Post by johnyclash »

Starting building next weekend. Little nervous. Lol

I’m gonna just do the framing and leaving the inside unfinished to see how it sounds and then eventually add insulation and then finish the sheet rock.

So from what I gather I’ll just use the cheap regular insulation instead of Roxul or rock wool right?

I guess it might be worth doing insulation then sheet rock and then green glue between another layer of Sheetrock. Is that about right? Z channels and trying to decouple that way seems like it would cost much much more. They’re expensive eh?

Seems like those two ways and room within a room are really the only way huh?

Always thankful for the feedback