DIY sound absorber with polyester?

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

musicman0318

DIY sound absorber with polyester?

Post by musicman0318 »

Hello guys :)

Im in posession of the following wall hanging:
https://m.lightinthebox.com/de/p/schoen ... _cid=78077

Since its hanging on my wall anyway, and the room definitely needs more sound absorbtion, i figured to build a panel with rockwool behind the cloth.

But it says its made out of 100% polyester and I dont know if it will work for a sound absorbtion panel - can anybody help me?

Greets
Chris
gullfo

Re: DIY sound absorber with polyester?

Post by gullfo »

it will do little except to kill off some high frequencies making the room sound muddy(er).
polyester insulation can be used in some circumstances but generally you need heavier semi-rigid insulation to attenuate LF standing wave issues.
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Not entirely certain I understand the question, but.... Polyester is a great absorber. You can certainly place Glass or Rock or other fibres behind it to create a deep and effective trap. But full area and not really worth doing anything less than 4"
musicman0318

Post by musicman0318 »

Thanks so much for replying!

I know it wont absorb any low frequencies.
My worry was that the sound wont go through the polyester cloth and therefore never really reaches the rockwool behind it? in which case the panel would be useless...