Old Studio Rehab.

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

BackEastDon

Re: Old Studio Rehab.

Post by BackEastDon »

Had a friend come over and help on Friday. Managed to get the rest done. Still saving that middle lower front section treatment for once I decide on new monitors. Ordered plenty of extra fabric, in case.
Front_Covered.jpg
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Looks fabulous, well done. Neumann KH310 IMO would be still a bargain at 2 or 3 times the price.
Check out the reviews, and believe me, it really is all they say.
BackEastDon

Post by BackEastDon »

With thanks to Glenn for the ideas. I incorporated this one into the build. As stated before, the monitors are a combination of old stuff I had plus the new JBL I purchased when having some issues with measurements. Funny, I the bigger KRK's have a bump at 80Hz and the JBL at 50Hz. Both, pretty sizable. Tested with both for comparison.

For DanDan, I built the stands the perfect size for the KH310's. Lets hope business picks up enough this year so that I can afford them.

Start of this is me carrying blocks up 3 flights of stairs.
stand_01.jpg
Built a quick frame and have a ton of rigid fiberglass I took off the walls.
stand_02.jpg
Insert fiberglass and cover with black tight mesh material.
stand_04.jpg
Add fabric and cover blocks.
stand_05.jpg
Got about half the console wiring done but will need to order the new interface. For now, the console inputs are my mic pres.
front_stands_1200.jpg
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

very nice! i've soffit mounted multiple speakers in a single baffle assembly. if you were to mount all 4 you'd get the blue ribbon :mrgreen:
Glenn
BackEastDon

Post by BackEastDon »

gullfo wrote:very nice! i've soffit mounted multiple speakers in a single baffle assembly. if you were to mount all 4 you'd get the blue ribbon :mrgreen:
The 4 are temporary. The bigger KRK are tubby and boosted at 80Hz and lack mids but go lower than the JBL. The smaller KRK are killer accurate for mids but no bottom. (I'm an adherent to the Puig soul is in the mids philosophy) The JBL's are somewhere in between of the two but boosted at 54Hz. #4 is an Auratone clone of sorts. It works but like me is asking about retirement.

I wanted to leave enough room and flexibility to put anything there. Meanwhile room sounds better than ever. Better than any of the bottom feeder studios I hung out at in the 70's but thats not really much of a hurdle.