superdoor trunk seal installation

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

ckimble

superdoor trunk seal installation

Post by ckimble »

Two hopefully simple questions...

1) I am building the superdoor as described in Gervais book and am at the point of installing the blocks for the perimeter seals. What should I use for "compression" measurement on the location of the blocks? I was just going to push real hard, but a more scientific answer would make me feel better.

2) What is the best way to attach the seals to the blocks? The image in the book looks like the "fin" is sandwiched between the jamb and the blocks? Am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks guys!
gullfo

Re: superdoor trunk seal installation

Post by gullfo »

1, yes you want it to seal snuggly but there is a balance on the compression of the rubber - presuming you used "lift-hinge" or "cam-hinge" so the door lifts off the seals when opening and settling down when closed - about 3/32" non-sealed gap would be a good choice. then the seal will compress about 85-90%.
another option is purchase zero international seal with auto-close for the bottom. or maybe later when the gasket seal is worn out.

2. yes.

3. not asked - make sure you have a properly sized door closing mechanism so the door closes slowly and fully. this is a costly item but is essential for safety.
Glenn