Layout Ideas, Does this make sense?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

sei046

Re: Layout Ideas, Does this make sense?

Post by sei046 »

Update on Flooring

20 ton of 804 and sand. Not fun.

9 metres of concrete

Good friends. On the hottest day we have had in Ireland in a long time.

Drying out
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

nice! and of course your friends were rewarded with high praise and food and beer! :mrgreen:
Glenn
sei046

Post by sei046 »

I had someone draw up some potential interiors with the plans provided by Glenn. Great to walk around it in VR to get a sense of the space I am working with. Personally I love the speaker placement ;-)

Obviously a lot of issues like position of desk etc but still! Useful to have.

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

thats a cool looking interior!
Glenn
sei046

Post by sei046 »

Cheers Glenn,
Yeah! its kind of cool, Probably a little gaudy, and that is a flat roof. And I would imagine that roof detail would be a bit tricky to pull off. I'd imagine with a design like that, you would want to make sure it is not going to negatively affect the sound.

I need to see how possible it would be for me to bring my old DDA Q2 console into the place. Not an amazing board, but I really liked driving the pres and the EQ was great. It was also super handy for summing signals on the way in etc. So sketches like this are handy to visualize space.

I had initially thought I might do a small sidecar for the outboard that would not take up much space.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

and definitely plan on building a bunch of gobos so you have semi-isolate amps and drums etc.
Glenn
ClaraM05

Post by ClaraM05 »

gullfo wrote:the idea was to create a 1:1.6:1.9 (approx) control room sized based on the width and average height you could build to internally. the skylights in the ceiling should be a problem for the control room but flipping the overall design to accommodate them in the live room would work meilleure assurance chat. i wouldn't shrink the control room. bit i would angle the live room - iso booth wall to reduce flutter in the iso booth and help a bit in the live room as well.
Not bad at all the project, but how to achieve it, I do not know but you will keep us informed.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Dia Huit!
1. In a design like this with separate stud walls for every room, Can I still construct it with one door between each area? So one door into the airlock, and another into the live room, and just one door from the airlock into the ISO etc. I will still end up with door doors between every area obviously but just in terms of building the door frame across both studs. Obviously one door into the machine room

Quick answer...... Most of our sound isolation is done by Mass Air Mass systems. Increasing Mass or the Air gap increases isolation. If you build a door frame or anything else connecting the two M's they are no longer isolated.

2. If I do an inside out wall with double layers of plasterboard facing the exterior walls, is ts advisable to put insulation between the plasterboard and the exterior? And If so does that mean I need a vapor barrier between the insulation and the exterior wall or am I asking for moisture problems.

I will leave the vapour issue to experienced builders, with the advisory that Ireland has a lot of moisture. In the MAM system, damping the A gap with fibre delivers a very cheap extra 9 or more dB of isolation. The gap should be fully filled but not compressed. Light fibre works just as well as heavy expensive batts. But include noggins or wire or whatever to prevent light fibre sagging downwards over time. Note that the hard Kingspan insulation is three times better thermally but has no acoustic benefits.
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Hello,

Very nice looking renders, and nice to see a fellow DDA console owner (I actually made a FB group dedicated to DDA console owners around the world, you should join if you haven't already).

There's quite a few things that I would change in your design, one of the things is I would flush mount the speakers in the front wall, you have the ideal opportunity for doing this.

Regarding one or two doors, adding on to what Dan has said...it is possible to only use one with a double leaf assembly, and maintain decoupling/seal, but unless the isolation assembly is already lightweight, it will compromise isolation. For a door between a control room and hallway this may not be a problem, but between a live room and a control room, or live room and outside world it would be more of a problem.

Vapour barrier: Yes, you need one. Where it needs to be located depends on your climate. In the UK the vapour barrier goes on the warm side of the cavity insulation. Inside out walls doesn't change where it needs to go, it's the same regardless of inside out or normal walls, but to be clear this means it would go in the cavity between the two leaves, behind the inner leaf drywall, or in front of the cavity insulation, closest to the interior of the room. In your climate it may be the opposite so you just need to check with local guidelines.
Paul
kossmoss

Post by kossmoss »

sei046 wrote:Hey Guys,
Im currently planning the layout for my studio which is approx 16m, 5.5 metres.
I have planned on equal live and control room sizes and was hoping to incoprotate a smaller iso booth for vocals and a machine room for cable management and ideally some storage.

I am currently landing on this rough layout and was wondering does anyone have any ideas?

The advantage I would imagine is a large enough machine room for a modest enough setup so I could store some extra guitars or mics that are not in use. Also this setup might add another layer of drywall and insulation between the live room(drum kits) and my control room position. So the musician would go from the control room through the booth into the live room.

I would imagine that very low frequencies would still "see" the larger layout as it is only drywall and 100/150 mil insulation. Or acoustically would I be better off giving my control room the full 7.7m length. fm whatsapp download

Also maybe I could make the walls between the control room and the two "booths" thick and turn them into deep absorbers while I am at it.

EDIT: The machine room is the room below the booth. Probably obvious but not as indicated.
thanks for nice info...