Econoline Soundproofing

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

gullfo

Re: Econoline Soundproofing

Post by gullfo »

it can definitely help but much more mass is needed for the LF attenuation. MLV is about 1lb/ft2 - 2lb/ft2.drywall is about 2.5lb/ft2. plywood is about the same as drywall. you might use plywood-MLV-plywood (better in a mobile vehicle) to get around 7lb/ft2.
Glenn
Bigtommyp

Post by Bigtommyp »

gullfo wrote: so, perhaps starting with spraying the interior back space with marine boat damping compound, then 2x6 metal framing on the walls, ceiling, floor, plus dividing wall between driver space and back doors (create framing for one door width on either end), then packed with rockwool, 1x layer of 1/2" ply + 2x 5/8" type x drywall. on the floor just use 3x 3/4" ply. corner trapping + ceiling soffit (lights, air - even people listening to loud rock music need oxygen), comfy chair, and decouple speakers from any surfaces, you will have the isolation for the suggested listening level.
Would the metal framing serve a purpose other than simply mounting the material? I mean to ask if this should be framing capable of decoupling or not, because the van has ribs to which the material could be attached.

If, for the purpose of cutting down weight, I were to shoot for about 5lb/ft2 rather than 7 what kind of results would that yield? Perhaps 2x type x drywall or 1 layer ply 1 layer drywall. Would greenglue or the like be useful in between layers?

I have purchased the van (2006 benz sprinter, 13'x6'3"x~6' interior) so maybe I will start a thread outlining my progress. Thank you so much for the input
Bigtommyp

Post by Bigtommyp »

Would it help to do 7lb/ft2 in the back half of the van around the listening area then 5lb/ft2 in the other half away from the speakers? Or would having the thinner section defeat the purpose