How is my garage renovation Tracking Studio design?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

matt2000

How is my garage renovation Tracking Studio design?

Post by matt2000 »

I’m designing a combo tracking room. No final mixes will be done here, but I’m hoping my quick rough mixes will be not terrible, with a desk at the 38% mark from the doors.
99DC9661-76F9-4E8D-93EC-59B142667611.jpeg
My ultimate goal is that I can track drums in the opposite corner from the guitar amp closet, and not have guitars bleed into drum mics. Toward this end, my main goal right now is to not do anything that will have to be redone later if I seek to improve my isolation goals toward 60-70 db TL outside the structure. I.e., I can easily add more drywall later, but if there’s some magic insulation for my air gap that really lives up to it’s marketing hype, I.e., is significantly better than the regular pink stuff, let me know. I expect to need some (hopefully small) amount of treatments once I can properly test the room for modes, etc.

Ceilings are unfortunately only 8 ft. I might be able to angle part of the ceiling to get to a peak close to 10 ft.

Walls around the tracking room will be double stud walls with 2x 5/8” drywall on both sides. I might cheat and just use some leftover isolation clips on single walls apart from the tracking room, where isolation is less important.

Cooling will be via a ductless mini-split system. Ventilation will use silencer boxes in the ceiling where needed. I don’t need heating here in California. Might need to add humidification, but I’ve got a stand alone humidifier that is silent, so I assume I can get more of those as needed. Electrical is still a bit of a mystery to me, but I’ve got a qualified electrician, and I know to separate low voltage from line voltage and to air seal all the plates, etc.

Anything here to worry about? Did I forget to mention anything important?

My main concerns remaining are whether to double that interior wall next to the electrical closet, or just treat that as an extra large air gap? The exterior of the structural studs is stucco.

Also, I think I need to treat the garage door that’s being left behind (north wall) as the exterior leaf of my double wall, and mass it up with some stiff insulation, so there’s just one set of studs there, to prevent the door from becoming a third leaf. If you think I’m wrong, please let me know!
matt2000

Re: How is my garage renovation Tracking Studio design?

Post by matt2000 »

Another way of asking the question: Given my constraints (particularly that I can’t get to 21’ length), is my design as good as this one?:

http://realtraps.com/art_studio.htm
gullfo

Re: How is my garage renovation Tracking Studio design?

Post by gullfo »

earthquakes, fire, mudslides, riots - the 4 seasons of LA. definitely want a proper engineering job to ensure multiple tons of material don't come crashing down on the occupants... why not use forced air for air exchange and cooling? putting in multiple mini-splits will be more expensive. it's a tracking room - make it rectangular and add a couple of rooms: utilities for HVAC, amp closet for guitar amps, gobos for damping drums and vocal separation. as a general note, using the gobos in a more open space will help the musicians who will likely be wearing at least 1/2 of their headphones. many great albums have been recorded in open studios.
Glenn