Studio Possible in Seattle Loft

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

DoctorBrowne

Studio Possible in Seattle Loft

Post by DoctorBrowne »

Firstly, incredible forum. Really happy I stumbled upon this wealth of information.

Ok. I just moved to Seattle, and recording music hasn't been too big a problem as everything is shut down and relatively quiet.

Yet, I know this won't last.

I'm looking into the feasibility of building an in home studio in the little room I have hear. I'm an excellent builder and engineer... yet have no accoustical knowledge. Looking for advice to see if this is worth doing.

Goal:
1) Record my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (115 dB) in relative quite.
2) Listen and mix music in treated space.

Budget: Under 10k
Tools: 5x5ft cnc machine (allowing for complex computer driven shapes) and woodshop.
RecordingStudio_02.PNG
This is my small loft. It's old lumber framing interior with 10ft ceilings and drywall for walls.

Noise inside comes from the three large street facing windows.
The next largest noise source would be the refrigerator, followed electronics and the occasional noises from the tenant above me.
RecordingStudio_02_noiseSources.PNG
While the ceilings are 10ft, I will only be able to make 8ft ceiling for any structure built in this space due to large glulams and pipes for the sprinkler system. I've highlighted the possible space that can be occupied.
RecordingStudio_02_working area.PNG
Currently, I'm thinking maybe a vocal booth where my desk used to be. Then a live/control room where I could listen and record without having to go through any doors. I heard the fib. sequence was excellent for sound so, I concepted this 5ft wide, 8ft tall, 12 foot long studio.
RecordingStudio_01.PNG
QUESTION:
What should I do? Are there any designs for a space this small which would let the amp breath for recording? Or would ultimately I be spending a lot of money getting a meh final product. Also can I make use of curved walls or ceilings using my cnc machine?
Lastly, ascetically I love the look of these. Any downside to using wood for diffusers?
sound_diffuser_small.jpg
DanDan

Re: Studio Possible in Seattle Loft

Post by DanDan »

Master Handbook of Acoustic by Alton Everest
Build it like the Pros by Rod Gervais

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/app.html

The Ratio recommendations are almost a myth. Sound travels slower in fibre, so the dimensions of the space will acoustically change with treatment.
Plus, many of those ratios were derived from large spaces, concert halls, and they do not scale.

Happy New Year
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

keeping it simple - maybe some free standing and wall hanging absorption units, ceiling cloud and make closet into bass trap for the time being. if the window noise is too much, some window plugs may be useful.
DoctorBrowne Studio.jpg
Glenn
DoctorBrowne

Post by DoctorBrowne »

Thanks for the designs and resources.

I'm still looking to make a full room to cut the noise in here.

I'll update my plans and post in a bit.

Thanks again,
-Davey