Home Studio Setup

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

blackwolfstudios

Home Studio Setup

Post by blackwolfstudios »

Hi guys,

I will move into a new apartment soon, and this time I want to get a nice setup for mixing. So far I’ve never consulted anyone and the room treatment was trash. I have limited experience based on what I’ve read on this forum so far.

This room will be used by my fiancé and me both, so I’m limited to what I can do and have to make compromises. This is a rental apartment, so I am not willing to make any construction work. The only things I can and want to do ist o set up Bass Traps in the corners and hang broadband absorbers on the walls. I do mixing and music production as a hobby so I don’t expect miracles with this setup. I just want to get the best room that I can with these limitations.

The room looks like this:
433cm x 345cm without the nook in the corner
15,29m²
Height: 246cm
I don't know how thick the walls are, however the longer wall where the nook with the balcony door is leads into another room of the apartment, whereas the other wall marks the end of the building with another adjacent building behind it, so in theory it should be much thicker.
Studio size.jpg
Studio 3.png
Studio 4.png
Speakers: KS Digital C88 Reference
Stands: Zaor customs stands (around 18kg)
Bass Traps: Hofa Basstrap (Tubes with 40cm diameter)
Broadband Absorber: 100x51x14,7cm

There have to be 2 drawers and 1 wardrobe in this room.
There is a balcony door and a window
I have neighbors below me

Main question so far:
On which side do I put up my monitors? Before I move in and start to REW test the room I would like to know where to set up. The way we are planning this now, there are 2 possibilities. 1: near the balcony door, 2. On the opposite side near the window.
How far away should the near-fields be from each other? Should I go with the equilateral triangle for starters?
My Budget for the treatment is about 1k€

Questions:
1. Where to set up the monitors
2. How to set them up (spacing between them)

Thank you very much
Last edited by blackwolfstudios on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanDan

Re: Home Studio Setup

Post by DanDan »

Real spaces are impossible to guess. Use REW to find the best locations for Speakers and Listener.
There are some guidelines but they can be wrong when some walls are massive and other are just light partitions.
Most often it is best to have the wall behind your as far away as possible. And glass is a good Bass Trap.
But Glass behind the speakers let's LF pass, minimising SBIR. Again Test Trumps Theory/Guessing