Theory for a Working Garage Door Build

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

ezingalis

Theory for a Working Garage Door Build

Post by ezingalis »

Hey everyone,

I am still in the research phase, but the space I am working with is 18x20 and currently has a 16ft garage door made of wood. The plan will be to use the double-wall system to treat a space for tracking and mixing. The garage is freestanding and is about 15 ft in any direction to the nearest neighbor. Of course, we will need to stop as much leakage as possible.

The current plan is to remove the current garage door and build the 4 doors (example linked below) and only allowing two of them two open for a single car. This will allow me to seal and isolate the other doors as if they were a wall (these doors will not be able to fold). As everyone keeps mentioning "the weakest link is your biggest problem," the two doors that open in a carriage style, I plan to build them like a super door. I am still deciding on what the material and construction this will be, but this will be custom built and hopefully have the same characteristics as any other door that would be in a studio (the biggest issue being the weight). The question here is, is it possible to build a double door that sealed to the same quality as a single door?

Originally had this crazy idea of having a portion of the wall move on the inner leaf thinking it could also act as a "door" allowing my car to pull in, but My girlfriend pointed out that I was being dumb. She recommended that just build another set of double doors for the inner leaf allowing the car to pull in.

Again this only works if I'm able to build a solid set of double doors with a good seal. Is this possible?