Mixing And Mastering Studio, need help REW graphs analysis.

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Tim D

Mixing And Mastering Studio, need help REW graphs analysis.

Post by Tim D »

Hello all how's it going?

I have been doing my studio for the last 7 years piece by piece, all made by hand.

I would like to know your thoughts on the room REW measurements after the latest installs (new "proper" bass traps, acoustic clouds and wall panels).
RT60, waterfall, rt60 decay, spectogram, frequency response overall and ideas to improve the bass response between 60hz to 150hz

Studio uses UAD Apollo Twin USB
Yamaha HS8 main speakers
Modded Senheiser HD650
Audio technica turntable, aiko amp, and JBL system for Vinyl Playback

Measurements were done with dayton emm-6 mic, lab calibrated by cross spectrum.
I also used a SPL meter lab calibrated (C weighted slow response)
The measurements were done exactly how the forum rules ask for.

REW measurements files and sound card/mic calibration files attached for anyone that wants to take a look at it!
here is the REW project + Cal files for the sound card and mic, its a .zip file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oOPELg ... sp=sharing

The 4 Basstraps are 1,13m tall each, they have 61cm wide front and have 50mm glasswool on the inside walls (all 60kg/m3), they are broad band kind of triangular corner traps, the front 100mm glass wool panels fits perfectly in the frame with no slack, and in the front there is a very thin protection black wool layer glued.

The cloud was done using 100mm 60kg/m3 glasswool (1m x 2m), with an air gap of 15cm from the celling,my celling is nicely angled, not sure how many degress but it helps a lot.
The 2 wall panels using 50mm 60kg/m3 glasswool (1m x 2m) angled at 8 degress towards the back of the room.
All covered with black orthophonic fabric.

The 2 Ceilling diffusors (2meters x 74cm) were made with MDF 25mm thick tuned to 832hz, my celling is nicely angled, not sure how many degress, but it helps a lot.

The 2 Walls diffusors (2meters x 74cm) were made with MDF 25mm thick tuned to 1665hz

Thanks a lot for your time and effort in helping people around the world,
Cheers!!!
Studio reference project.jpg
A6_01212_Proc_C1.jpg
A6_01224_Proc_C1.jpg
A6_01238_Proc_C1.jpg
A6_01232_Proc_C1.jpg
difusor celing 832hz.JPG
difusor wall 1665hz.JPG
studio frequency response.JPG
Tim D

Re: Mixing And Mastering Studio, need help REW graphs analys

Post by Tim D »

:shot: :?:
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Hi. The vertical scale on your graph is way too large. Nobody has a flat response like that. Zoom in to reality! If you post your.mdat REW file we could investigate. Nice looking place. I am not sure about the purpose of the side diffusors though.
Tim D

Post by Tim D »

DanDan wrote:Hi. The vertical scale on your graph is way too large. Nobody has a flat response like that. Zoom in to reality! If you post your.mdat REW file we could investigate. Nice looking place. I am not sure about the purpose of the side diffusors though.
Hello @DanDan hows it going?
thanks for taking your time to respond here :wink:
the .mdat rew file is linked on the first post, i will link it here again (its a zip file):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oOPELg ... ojcUX/view

the side diffusors are double over the minimum effective distance witch is (61cm), they are 1,25m each from the sweet spot.
they are there to diffuse sound mainly behind my head to give a greater depth sensation to the room and distribute the reflections energy more smoothly around the room, in my measurements they were very effective to flatten out the mid/high frequencies in the room, the ceilling ones are even more effective at that.

thanks
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

All good. That is interesting. I just noticed your ceiling diffs re angled. As well as the diffusion you are also benefitting from a Hard Cloud.
Your MF and HF is indeed nicely even. You do have a problem at LF though. This is almost certainly SBIR. I suggest moving your speakers and listener position around to see if you can minimise the nulling. I would start with the speakers kissing the front wall.
Smooth.png
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-set ... placement/
Tim D

Post by Tim D »

DanDan wrote:All good. That is interesting. I just noticed your ceiling diffs re angled. As well as the diffusion you are also benefitting from a Hard Cloud.
Your MF and HF is indeed nicely even. You do have a problem at LF though. This is almost certainly SBIR. I suggest moving your speakers and listener position around to see if you can minimise the nulling. I would start with the speakers kissing the front wall.
Smooth.png
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-set ... placement/
yep the null around 125hz is a PITA cause i can't flush mount my speaker inside the front wall (its a glass door that goes to the outside world),
i would love to be able to flush mount the speaker inside the wall, that would probably fix entirely the 125hz null problem.
The space here for speaker placement is also so narrow. :cry:

I think that with basstraps i will probably do nothing to the SIBIR, or it would make a difference?
anyway to know if its a standing Wave cancelation or SBIR null for sure just analizing the rew graphs?