Construction help/advice

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

twjones

Construction help/advice

Post by twjones »

Hi,

First time posting here and hoping I follow the rules. I'm kind of mid-way in constructing my home studio and started feeling like maybe I'm ding things kind of willy nilly. So let me describe what I'm working with.

I'm in a basement and the room I'm working with is 16' 8" long, 9'7" wide and 7' 6.25" high. There are two windows to the right. I have another window to the left in what I framed up to be a vocal booth. The flooring is laminated wood floor. Ceiling is standard drywall. The walls are concrete block covered with 2"x2" wood frame which is covered with wood paneling and runs about 4' high (NOTE: There is Styrofoam in between the paneling and concrete blocks) . The rest of the wall is standard drywall.

At this point I have put absorption panels in the three corners of the room (two up front, one in the back right corner. Stairwell is on the other side). I purchased a concrete form tube which was 12" wide. I cut it in half making a 6" poly cylindrical shape and stuck the halves on the back wall to act as a diffuser. I do plan on placing absorbers on the side and front walls but this is where I have stopped. The panels are made of 1"x4" pine frames stuffed with 4" thick mineral wool. In the corners they are 17" wide running from ceiling to floor. I also have heavy curtains on the windows.

I'm not to worried about sound proofing anything from outside noise as the neighborhood is relatively quiet. Since it is just my wife and I, I'm not to worried about indoor noise either. I'm just looking for a nice home studio where what I'm mixing and mastering translates well to the outside world.

I am attaching a sketchup plan and a REW measurment as the room stands now. I'm hoping this helps. I am looking for any advice on where to go from here and/or scrap it and start over (which I hope doesn't come to that;,))

I hope I followed the rules and look forward to a response.
Studio With Bathroom.png
Mix Position - Bass Traps, Etc..jpg
DanDan

Re: Construction help/advice

Post by DanDan »

LOL, love the sketch, with the guy on the Jax.....
https://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... =3&t=22328

You will need a lot more acoustic treatment. 4 Corners, floor to ceiling, cloud, side reflection killers. In terms of 2'x4'x4" MiniTraps or GIKs or DIY, let's say at least 14
twjones

Post by twjones »

Thanks for the reply. I have three corners since the 4th corner is a stairwell (not sure how to treat that but open to suggestions). I already have floor to ceiling 17" wide 4" deep mineral wool DIY panels in the 3 corners. I will do the cloud though. I was looking at 6 DIY panel absorbers. If I put up 14 will that make things pretty dead? Where would I put that many?
SoWhat

Post by SoWhat »

Greetings twjones,

Have you thought about ventilation (and the associated noise it generates)?

Clearly, the stairwell allows for some fresh air into the main space, but the vocal booth looks rather suffocating.

I agree with DanDan on the image of the guy on the hopper. Brilliant, although he probably hits his knee on the vanity every time he gets up.

All the best,

Paul
twjones

Post by twjones »

Thank you Paul,
Hey you can always sit on the hopper sideways...lol