Small studio build in Tallinn, Estonia

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

anodivirta

Re: Small studio build in Tallinn, Estonia

Post by anodivirta »

any updates?
strictlydubs

Post by strictlydubs »

anodivirta wrote:any updates?

Hi,

Thanks for your intestest! I haven't posted yet, cause we had some busy times. Construction is still going and we finished all insulation works. First cloth is up and we are working on the soffits.

Some photos to reveal our progress...

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

To be continued :)

Stay safe everybody!
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

strictlydubs wrote:

Stay safe everybody!
2021 updates?!
:)
strictlydubs

Post by strictlydubs »

anodivirta wrote:
strictlydubs wrote:

Stay safe everybody!
2021 updates?!
:)

Hi, there

Recently I was totally busy with my job and with the stuff of the end of '20 year...

I will upload some photos very soon. Studio construction is still going smoothly - we are in the process.

Thank you

S.
strictlydubs

Post by strictlydubs »

There are some updates in our studio...

The photos are still coming with delay, as we already installed all lighting, switches, sockets and etc...

Right now we are finishing our ventilation system as we had some slight difficulties with it, more specifically, we are finishing the extraction.
As throught our place are already passing pipes of the exhaust system, so we would like to connect to them too, so we don't need to build our own.

Very soon we can run our first sound test and see the graphics.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Again, big thank you to this wonderful forum, without your knowldge we cound't reach so far...
Big big thank you!

We are smoothly approaching to the end of construction of our first recording studio....
After six months...

Bless
S.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

looks great! very nice workmanship!
Glenn
strictlydubs

Post by strictlydubs »

gullfo wrote:looks great! very nice workmanship!
Thank you :)
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

looking good and please post measurements when you get your systems running!
strictlydubs

Post by strictlydubs »

Greetings to everybody,

I hope you're all feeling good!

A year has passed since we've finished construction at the studio.
Would like to share some photos of how our studio looks now.

Due to some circumstances I still didn't post the measurements.
My apologies, I will post them asap.

Sincerely

Saimon

gullfo

Post by gullfo »

very nice work!
Glenn
LamaCL92

Post by LamaCL92 »

Really nice work!! The only thing that I have doubts is the position of those yamaha monitors. I mean, I get the concept of flush mounting the loudspeakers to obtain the acoustics benefits of it, but those monitors have a ported vent at the back (HS8, HS5 model?) so putting those right there, can modify in a non-beneficial way the frequency response of the monitors because you're not giving enough air space behind for the ported vent to function as it should be. Or maybe the enclosure where they are have something to avoid that problem?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

if you set up the venting correctly, the rear port and active monitors will work ok. the challenge is to provide enough absorption on the ported models in the soffit. also, you need to adjust the baffle step compensation a bit differently to account for the new LF response of the speaker which will be different than a front ported or sealed box. i generally don't recommend sealing the rear port as the speakers are typically not designed for (x-overs, spring, etc) it and so best to leave them open.
Glenn
strictlydubs

Post by strictlydubs »

LamaCL92 wrote:Really nice work!! The only thing that I have doubts is the position of those yamaha monitors. I mean, I get the concept of flush mounting the loudspeakers to obtain the acoustics benefits of it, but those monitors have a ported vent at the back (HS8, HS5 model?) so putting those right there, can modify in a non-beneficial way the frequency response of the monitors because you're not giving enough air space behind for the ported vent to function as it should be. Or maybe the enclosure where they are have something to avoid that problem?

Yes, the thing is, that I haven't got any other option, only those HS7. And Yamaha's are really familiar to me, so as a first experience I did mount them. I tried to not overload the rear port, enclosure box is much deeper then the monitors and I tried to make it as much ventilated as I could. I have a plan to try to set up another monitors, but I've still struggling for which ones to go with the front-port.. Maybe you could give me an advice? Really appreciate your comment!
strictlydubs

Post by strictlydubs »

gullfo wrote:very nice work!

Thank you Glenn!
LamaCL92

Post by LamaCL92 »

strictlydubs wrote:
LamaCL92 wrote:Really nice work!! The only thing that I have doubts is the position of those yamaha monitors. I mean, I get the concept of flush mounting the loudspeakers to obtain the acoustics benefits of it, but those monitors have a ported vent at the back (HS8, HS5 model?) so putting those right there, can modify in a non-beneficial way the frequency response of the monitors because you're not giving enough air space behind for the ported vent to function as it should be. Or maybe the enclosure where they are have something to avoid that problem?

Yes, the thing is, that I haven't got any other option, only those HS7. And Yamaha's are really familiar to me, so as a first experience I did mount them. I tried to not overload the rear port, enclosure box is much deeper then the monitors and I tried to make it as much ventilated as I could. I have a plan to try to set up another monitors, but I've still struggling for which ones to go with the front-port.. Maybe you could give me an advice? Really appreciate your comment!

Considering the investment you did for the design and acoustic treatment of your room, it is worth upgrading your monitor system too. The HS7 are great, midrange detail is clear with those. Now, the ones I would recommend that have front port are the Focals Alpha Evo 65. A pair of those are aprox. double the price of a HS7 pair, but as I said, it's worth the upgrade.