Cellar soundproofing project

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

David51

Re: Cellar soundproofing project

Post by David51 »

gullfo wrote:in general, foam is limited in it's range of frequencies it will absorb effectively. if you can building 3-4" (75-100mm) thick semi-rigid insulation type absorbers for the doors, and at each end of the stair case, plus two more on the ceiling above stairs if you have the head room.
When you talk about absorbers, do you think about that? (wooden frame with semi-rigid rockwool inside?)
1-Panel.jpg
2-Panel.jpg
If so, it is my understanding that they are most effective when they are not directly attached to the door/wall, but there is a slight air gap behind them.

For those with ceilings, no worries:
1-Ceiling.jpg
For the doors I have seen this:
1-Door Panel.jpg
2-Door Panel.jpg
But at the limit I thought more about gluing the wood cleats directly on the door, fill with rock wool, and fix a wooden plank to the dimensions and cover with fabric.

Please excuse me for insisting but do you think that the wall is too thin and that I should make an absorber again as I was advised? (about 15cm thick)
4-Séparation local cage d'éscaliers-min.jpg
Thank you very much ;)
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

nice absorbers!
Glenn
David51

Post by David51 »

gullfo wrote:nice absorbers!
Ah ah they're not mine, it was to see if you were talking about that but I have my answer.

Just to be sure: I read that they must be separated from the partition where they are installed for more efficiency. (Air gap behind). Is this true?

Then for the walls don't worry, but for the doors is this disturbing if I fix the panel directly to the door (in fact door and panel would become one).