QRD + SLAT WALL Advice needed

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

kungpow

QRD + SLAT WALL Advice needed

Post by kungpow »

I'm working on an acoustic design project for a large tracking room. The Architect we're collaborating with asked a question I don't have the experience to answer.

We've got a vertical slat wall with 1.5" wide 1.5" deep wood slats, and 1.5" gaps. Behind the slat wall I have some absorptive treatments and about 8" to play with to the wall. Everything is great! However, We'd like to add a QRD style diffusion treatment, something that would work well behind a drum kit (500Hz - 4Khz ideally). The architect wants to keep a single visual treatment, so he's asked me to hide/integrate the diffusers behind the slat wall.
So here are a couple of questions I'd like to bounce off the collective wisdom here:

1. What would happen if I put RPG Diffractal DIffusors behind the slat wall? I understand I'd only benefit from 50% of their impact, however it seems to me that the well depths would interact with the slats and cause issues. Plus the RPG's are 4" wide wells and my slats at 1.5". I've thought about setting the RPG's up at 90º to the wall.

2. I've modeled an 11 period 8" deep diffuser, with 1.5" wells that would at least visually line up with the current slat wall. So here's the question. What happens if I mess with the period sequence? The calculated 11 well depth sequence is: 0,1,4,9,5,3,3,5,9,4,1. What would happen if I modified it to: 0,4,1,9,3,5,3,9,1,4 ? If this could work I could maintain the visual vibe and alternating tall well/shallow well vibe of the slotted wall as I transition into the custom-built diffuser portion.

3. What would happen if I cut RPG-T Fusors in half, and used them at the bottom of my wells to get some HF Diffusion going on? Would chopping it down to half their normal sequence ruin the effectiveness of the product?

I really want to honor the architectural intent. We were prepared to custom build the diffusors anyway.

I'd appreciate any help or insight you have. Cheers,

D

PDF of the visual goal here: https://www.kungpowpro.com/wp-content/u ... oncept.pdf
Paulus87

Re: QRD + SLAT WALL Advice needed

Post by Paulus87 »

diffusers behind a slat wall is an odd concept, since the slats will get in the way and defeat the purpose of a nice, even diffusion.

Why don't you just hide the diffusers behind a breathable fabric? Not ideal, but a lot less intrusive than a slat wall.

Paul
Paul
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

A Tracking room would require a lot of diffusion to be noticeable. How about building it into the slats. Well scattering anyway....
http://thebunkerstudio.com/studio-a/
kungpow

Post by kungpow »

DanDan wrote:A Tracking room would require a lot of diffusion to be noticeable. How about building it into the slats. Well scattering anyway....
http://thebunkerstudio.com/studio-a/
Thanks DanDan. How would you go about building it into the slats?

I've come up with a paint treatment that might get me close to the visual aesthetic we're after...But some T-Fusors, between the slats and behind the fabric might add a little of the magic I'm looking for...
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Take a look at Bunker Studios. The angled slats, different sizes, different gaps, scatters sound.
Take a look at our host's gallery here also.