Streaming room PA attenuation design, build, treatment

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Linzmeister

Streaming room PA attenuation design, build, treatment

Post by Linzmeister »

Hi All,

Please see attached architectural plan and photos.

We intend to convert the current music storage room into a live stream control room for Audio mixing and PTZ camera control and vision switching.

There are PA speakers mounted as shown in the photo.
We normally run the PA at ~90-95 dB SPL A weighting slow response.

We intend to mix the same audio sources as the PA for a live stream in the indicated room, and need to attenuate the PA volume in the live stream room and then do internal acoustic treatment so that we can trust the sound coming out of the monitors - a pair of Presonus E8XT.

I'm looking for guidance on effective wall constructions given the restrictions and already very narrow width. I have read the Studio Design documentation on the main page repeatedly over the last 20 years as well as Auralex's Acoustics 101.
I guess a better way to phrase the question may be.. what STC/ noise reduction target should I be aiming for?

We will be doing digital console live mixes or ITB recorded mixes.

I have a budget of $10,000 for the construction, electrical, Air con and treatment. I have willing friends in the building and electrical trades so we can skew the cost towards materials.

The room is:
3900mm long,
3000mm wide
and has a 16 degree angled roof 2500mm at external wall rising to 3300mm at the internal wall.
There is an air conditioner duct attached to the wall closest to the door.
There is an access panel for the concertina door in the back corner opposite the door.

The Door is 310mm from the back corner of the room.

I have to convince others of the benefits of spending money on room within a room design and cost...

Any guidance greatly accepted.
DanDan

Re: Streaming room PA attenuation design, build, treatment

Post by DanDan »

A Rating removes all LF, I would use C or Z (Flat) for music.
Soundproofing is difficult, can you consider a caravan or such for the control room?
Linzmeister

Post by Linzmeister »

I can remeasure with a C weighting.

No I can not use a caravan, this is a permanent install not a temporary job. This is the space I have been allocated.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

It looks like the requirement has been specified by people who have no understanding of how difficult to impossible this is.
Sound decreases dramatically with distance. Could this CR be placed elsewhere, e.g. instead of the AV booth?

STC is not appropriate for music. Most noise terms are geared towards very low level sound through walls. Neighbours talk and TV and such.
When you look at full Spectrum Transmission Loss, you will find it easy to block HF and MF, but Bass sails right through.
STC-same-two-walls-but-one-is-30dB-better--nrc_canada_chart.gif