Adjacent Isolated Concrete Slabs

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Fred Pearson

Adjacent Isolated Concrete Slabs

Post by Fred Pearson »

I'm currently trying to get my head around laying separate concrete slabs for different rooms of a build.

Page 41 of Rod Gervais' book details the theory, but I can't fathom how to practically achieve it.

How would you remove the formwork between the two slabs once the second slab has dried? I'm assuming that the slabs would be pinching it in the gap making it impossible to remove - what am I missing?

I've searched high and low on both Google and this forum, but am struggling to come up with the goods. If there's any extra reading material anyone can point me to, that would be really appreciated.

Best,
Paulus87

Re: Adjacent Isolated Concrete Slabs

Post by Paulus87 »

Fred Pearson wrote:I'm currently trying to get my head around laying separate concrete slabs for different rooms of a build.

Page 41 of Rod Gervais' book details the theory, but I can't fathom how to practically achieve it.

How would you remove the formwork between the two slabs once the second slab has dried? I'm assuming that the slabs would be pinching it in the gap making it impossible to remove - what am I missing?

I've searched high and low on both Google and this forum, but am struggling to come up with the goods. If there's any extra reading material anyone can point me to, that would be really appreciated.

Best,
You either pour them at different times so that you can access it, or if pouring at the same time use something easy to remove such as polystyrene, EPS or whatever. You could use a layer of polystyrene on each side of the form if you were worried that the polystyrene by itself would not be substantial enough, then once the concrete has hardened you can break away the polystyrene and remove it.

Paul
Paul