studio design questions

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

thirdflr

studio design questions

Post by thirdflr »

3FDMStudio without angle.pdf
Ok a few questions here based upon the assumptions listed below:

I am building a new house in the country and will not have neighbors within several hundred yards. The good thing is i get to design my new studio from the slab up. Now I do have some limitations. It has to fit inside my house plan. Its a slab foundation all on one level.

So the idea is to build a room within a room. I will have the builder lay a perimeter wood separator around the control room so the CR will have its own slab! The house itself with have sprayed in foam insulation and I will use Rockwool in CR walls and Booth walls. Studio is on one side of the house. Next to it is a unused bedroom then hallway, then pantry room, then kitchen, then living room then Master bedroom then bath.....well you get the idea far as possible from the wife. Last kid got her own place last month. Yeah off the payroll!

My Recording area is for vocals and acoustic instruments. essentially a larger vocal booth.

I do listen loud. So transmission into the main house is a concern. She don't like the kick drum so much....who does? the recording booth won't be used that much and if I am doing anything that needs to be critically quiet i can turn down. This is why I went with staggered walls in that room.

Ceiling - 10 ft with rough cedar as the finish look . Cloud absorber in center of room above desk in each room.
Flooring - finished with ¾” engineered wood floors
Control room is one of the golden ratios 1x1.3 x 1.9 = 10' ceiling, 13' x 19'
Studio area is 7.5 ft x 10.25 ft

I have enclosed a couple of PDF's I made with Visio one with the angled walls and one without.
My questions since I am building this from the ground....Do I angle the walls or leave it square and just treat the reflections with absorbers, traps, and diffusers?

I would like to have glass between the control room and booth but I also need doors. What if I got two sets of sliding glass doors one on each wall separating the CR and Studio?

A more simple question is since I am building a room within a room, if each room has an element (window, door, sliding glass doors, door with window, etc...) and if each has a a STC of...lets say 35...when doubling it....does it double the STC levels as well?

Overall my biggest concern is transmission of sound into the rest of the house as not to bother my wife. The recording area is not too critical as far as isolation as it would be used for a very occasional acoustic guitar or vocal o/d.

Here are my plans so far
DanDan

Re: studio design questions

Post by DanDan »

I have enclosed a couple of PDF's I made with Visio one with the angled walls and one without.
My questions since I am building this from the ground....Do I angle the walls or leave it square and just treat the reflections with absorbers, traps, and diffusers?
Angled walls prevent flutter echo, but that is quite easily treated. So angle them, but no big.
I would like to have glass between the control room and booth but I also need doors. What if I got two sets of sliding glass doors one on each wall separating the CR and Studio?
Mass Air Mass is always a good idea. Not sure if sliding doors would seal as well as hinged.
A more simple question is since I am building a room within a room, if each room has an element (window, door, sliding glass doors, door with window, etc...) and if each has a a STC of...lets say 35...when doubling it....does it double the STC levels as well?
Not exactly following the question, but unfortunately Transmission Loss is kinda like voltage. Two of the same increases only by 6dB.
Overall my biggest concern is transmission of sound into the rest of the house as not to bother my wife. The recording area is not too critical as far as isolation as it would be used for a very occasional acoustic guitar or vocal o/d.
Perhaps your energy and resources would be better focussed on a single room studio?