Adding an isolation box for guitar and bass cab

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

thedukewestern

Adding an isolation box for guitar and bass cab

Post by thedukewestern »

Hello. I converted half of my garage into a composition/ 1 room studio 2 years ago. Essentially, this is a Mass air Mass dual wall design directly inside the garage. I have some more space in my garage, and am considering putting an amp isolation box there. The space I have in mind is directly on the exterior of of this build, still inside the garage. 99% of the time I record myself for music library work.

My current thoughts are, build a 4.5 ft wide/deep iso box on bottom, and a 2nd one on top (to double as storage when not in use), as I have around 9 feet of height to work with. I currently use a "vocal booth iso box" that I can fit a 4 12 in. Can I consider this to be a "first internal layer", and place it inside of a box built specifically for it?

So - my question is, if I build this, what should I be thinking of for climate control? The studio has a mini spilt and humidity control via a floor unit. Is this something I should be concerned with for a simple iso box? The garage gets hot and humid (around 85ish) in the summer and below freezing in the winter, and the exterior of this hypothetical iso box will be exposed to it. I would ideally like to simply set it and forget it as much as possible.
Gregwor

Re: Adding an isolation box for guitar and bass cab

Post by Gregwor »

I'd personally just leave the door open when I'm not using it. That's all. Keep it simple.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.