Acousticaly Measure a vocal booth.

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

musictracer

Acousticaly Measure a vocal booth.

Post by musictracer »

I have been browsing this great forum for quite a while trying to find information about measuring the acoustic behavior of a vocal booth, but without luck. I browsed several topics of vocal booths with a lot of building instructions and isolation properties but nothing regarding the measurement procedure of its acoustic behavior.
I am looking for mic placement, Speaker placement, optimum measurement spl etc...
I would much appreciate if someone could share the measuring principles that apply to a live room generally as well.
Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT:
By browsing other forums I see that many people imitate the singing process when measuring. So the speaker is placed at singer position and direction, while the mic is placed at vocal mic position. This makes sense to me but I'd be glad if anyone confirmed this method is valid.
Ironstone Tech

Re: Acousticaly Measure a vocal booth.

Post by Ironstone Tech »

musictracer wrote: By browsing other forums I see that many people imitate the singing process when measuring. So the speaker is placed at singer position and direction, while the mic is placed at vocal mic position. This makes sense to me but I'd be glad if anyone confirmed this method is valid.
Me too. I couldn't find much advice on sweeping / analyzing a vocal booth on any forum. So I've been using a powered vocal monitor placed on a speaker stand where the singer's mouth would be.
With a Sonarworks XREF20 calibrated reference mic pointing at the junction of the LF and HF drivers of the powered speaker 350mm away.
I knew this was not ideal but I had to start somewhere. I was looking for before and after sweep measurements as I added treatments to the booth.
I use REW software.
Toughest part is keeping track of what you did and when you did it. Take pics, take notes, name your REW files accurately.
I also moved the microphone around the booth, notating the exact placement, to find the sweetest spots for the singer to stand.
I even laid the speaker on the floor and pointed the mic at the roof, the corners, the different walls to test the methods I was using.
Some of the REW graphs make sense to me but I need help with interpreting much of the data. Good luck with your project mate!
Yeah, and if we had some ham we could make a ham sandwich if we had some bread.
DanDan

Re: Acousticaly Measure a vocal booth.

Post by DanDan »

Vic has pretty much done it all and described it. Depends on what you are trying to measure.
Same as any room, one might want to measure all the modes. This is best done by placing the speaker and the mic in opposing tricorners. Speaker on the ground in a corner, Mic at the ceiling at the opposite side of the room. If the room is not symmetrical or just to be sure, one could try different corners. It is useful to know what modes, how strong they are, and where they are. Thus one can avoid them for clarity or even use them for tonal boost.