New studio build Austin, TX

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

ckimble

New studio build Austin, TX

Post by ckimble »

Hey all,

I’m in the planning stages for building out a rehearsal/recording space. This is going to use a 16’x24’ section of a detached garage/workshop. I am currently using a bedroom in an attached guest house for my band to rehearse as well as do some simple recording. It actually does a good job with sound isolation but more isolation would be desired.. I have some space around me but this structure will be slightly closer to my neighbors house. I have a good plan for the outer leaf, but am working on the interior design now.

I was wondering if you could take look at this layout I put together from the sample posted on this site and make any recommendations? I have scaled this to fit my space, however the main difference is I will have a shorter ceiling height than in the original layout at 7’-8".

Given the proper treatment will this provide a decent sound for tracking, jamming, and mixing? Any major modal issues or anything like that? I know that’s asking a lot from the small space. I guess I’m just looking for any obvious issues.

Thanks!
Paulus87

Re: New studio build Austin, TX

Post by Paulus87 »

Hi,

Do you have any pictures or drawings of your current building?

When you say your ceiling is 7-8’ does that mean it is sloping or you’re not sure of the exact height?

Is there drywall or ply or any kind of panelling already on the inside of your existing space or is the framing exposed?

If your ceiling height is 7-8’ to begin with and then you want to build an inner leaf inside of that you’re going to end up with very low ceilings, 6-7’ plus you need a lot of acoustic treatment in the ceiling so pretty soon you won’t be able to stand up in there. That’s my biggest concern right now!

Once this is clarified we can continue to help you with your design.

Paul
Paul
ckimble

Post by ckimble »

When you say your ceiling is 7-8’ does that mean it is sloping or you’re not sure of the exact height?
Sorry that didn't sound clear, The finished inside height after framing and drywall for the interior walls will be 7 feet 10 Inches ( was reducing slightly in my original post) and as of now was thinking of a flat ceiling without any slope. (see crappy drawing for reference)

Is there drywall or ply or any kind of panelling already on the inside of your existing space or is the framing exposed?
It is exposed framing to the inside. I am beefing up the outer leaf with 5/8" drywall between studs, but ultimately the usable space to build my inner leaf walls will be ~23'-5" 'x15'-5"

I tried to upload the sketchup file, but it is too large, so it can be accessed at this dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/af95myf6yozva ... 0.skp?dl=0

Thanks
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

That's very clear now, you have a great blank canvas for your studio.

The only thing that's a bit of a shame is you have all that height but the bottom chord of your trusses is low. And your length is basically twice your height, which is not a good.

If you were up for a bit of cutting and fussing you could actually increase your inner leaf ceiling height and utilise that space for your ceiling treatment. Here's what I mean...

On the top chords of your trusses (let's call them rafters) you could install 2" batten on the face of each, and install your drywall layers between the rafters, on the bottom of the battens. This would leave a ventilation path which your roof will need in order to avoid condensation (assuming you already have soffit vents and top vents? If you do not have vents then tell us now as this is incredibly important!) as well as maintain a completely air tight sealed outer leaf (the drywall layers) A bit like a beef up with a gap behind it.

Then, for your inner leaf, you could frame it as you propose except use two joists between every bottom truss chord. Between the truss bottom chords your inner leaf drywall layers would be on the top of your inner leaf joists, and under the truss bottom chords the inner leaf drywall layers would be on the bottom of your inner leaf joists. A bit like a square wave.

The parts of the ceiling that are recessed up above the truss bottom chords could be filled with acoustic treatment and the parts below the bottom truss chords you could install downlights.

It would look really, really cool, imagine a full ceiling cloud but built in, but the main advantage is it will increase the acoustic height of your room(s), which will help (particularly your control room) to have a more even modal spread, and it would avoid the double incidences between your height and length.

If it was me, in your case, to better utilise the space I would just divide the workshop in the middle and have both your tracking room and control room the same size, and keep them both rectangular (like in the attached image) Your finished "treatment shells" do not have to stay rectangular, but your actual room boundaries (the inner leaves) will benefit by being rectangular for four main reasons:

1. it's more straight forward to build
2. it maximises the your room volume (very important for acoustics)
3. more predictable room modes
4. a lot more space for bass trapping and other treatment.

Those are my thoughts for now.

Paul
Paul
ckimble

Post by ckimble »

The only thing that's a bit of a shame is you have all that height but the bottom chord of your trusses is low.
I actually was considering converting the trusses to rafters and had an engineer draw up the options. In the end it would blow out my budget so decided not to go that route
On the top chords of your trusses (let's call them rafters) you could install 2" batten on the face of each, and install your drywall layers between the rafters, on the bottom of the battens. This would leave a ventilation path which your roof will need in order to avoid condensation (assuming you already have soffit vents and top vents? If you do not have vents then tell us now as this is incredibly important!) as well as maintain a completely air tight sealed outer leaf (the drywall layers) A bit like a beef up with a gap behind it.
I do have a cold roof design with soffit and ridge vents. I am doing exactly as you described. I have attached a pic of one section that I have started.

Then, for your inner leaf, you could frame it as you propose except use two joists between every bottom truss chord. Between the truss bottom chords your inner leaf drywall layers would be on the top of your inner leaf joists, and under the truss bottom chords the inner leaf drywall layers would be on the bottom of your inner leaf joists. A bit like a square wave.
I love this idea! I hadn't thought about this, but it sounds like a great idea. Other than the extra drywall work, this is a great option. Would you try and keep this symmetrical or would it make more sense to have the upper portion wider than the lower section to give more volume to the room?
If it was me, in your case, to better utilise the space I would just divide the workshop in the middle and have both your tracking room and control room the same size, and keep them both rectangular (like in the attached image) Your finished "treatment shells" do not have to stay rectangular, but your actual room boundaries (the inner leaves) will benefit by being rectangular for four main reasons:

1. it's more straight forward to build
2. it maximises the your room volume (very important for acoustics)
3. more predictable room modes
4. a lot more space for bass trapping and other treatment.
All great points.. looks like I'll be diving back in sketchup

Thank you so much!