New Studio - Would Love Feedback

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

SLIndustries86

New Studio - Would Love Feedback

Post by SLIndustries86 »

So, I have a 18x30 space that I am looking to build my new semi-professional studio in, which will be rented out with an engineer to bands, artist, musicians, etc.

I have attached my original photo for options on the room.

However, after some thoughts, I am thinking of doing one of the following.

1) Maybe making the tracking room a BIT smaller, maybe like a 12x18 or 13x18 and then having a single wall divide the large room and combine the Lounge and Control room to have a larger control room with some longing options in it. This way i still have the separate tracking/isolation room and the separate control room.

or

2) Just doing option 2 and just doing ONE big room, that will have the lounge area behind the control area and keeping it wide open, this will help with some frequency issues that I could experience.

What are you all suggestions and feedback?
TomVan

Re: New Studio - Would Love Feedback

Post by TomVan »

Option #1.... But switch the lounge for the control room. You will thank me later.
Kicking it in the lounge always sounds like a good idea but doesn't happen like in the movies. Your control room will always have people in it and sometimes more than you can accommodate if it is a large band.
Peace
Tom

Re: New Studio - Would Love Feedback

Post by Gregwor »

I agree with Tom except you need to be careful designing the corner into the lounge as it appears the door to the small lounge will be right in the corner. Corners should be used for either speaker baffles in a RFZ style control room or bass trapping. Getting creative with a design could mean a dual function corner where it still functions as a door but maintains it's important role as a bass trap. You didn't indicate where doors are in the building so maybe this isn't an issue at all.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.