New Home Rehearsal/Recording Studio build. advice?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Paulus87

Re: New Home Rehearsal/Recording Studio build. advice?

Post by Paulus87 »

Yes, board up that gap in the peak, if you can't do it from the other side then from the inside is fine provided it is completely sealed to the rest of the leaf with no gaps anywhere.

Regarding your vapour barrier - definitely do not put 2 vapour barriers in a single assembly, that is asking for trouble.

Ideally it would go on the warm side of the cavity insulation...

Do you also have insulation behind that OSB on the ceiling inside the vented cavity? If you do, then I would be tempted to remove that anyway to guarantee there is free air flow behind your roof deck.

Paul
Paul
Bretton M

Post by Bretton M »

yes, there's insulation right behind the OSB, with air space above that before you hit the roof covering:
insulation location.png

so need to take the extra step of taking the OSB off to take the Poly off. dang.

on to increasing the outer mass soon, do my cleats have to be a certain size? can I get away with just chopping up 1x2s for that since it's just the walls that will be cleated, ceiling will have to be screwed.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

on to increasing the outer mass soon, do my cleats have to be a certain size? can I get away with just chopping up 1x2s for that since it's just the walls that will be cleated, ceiling will have to be screwed.
Anything any size will work. As long as it holds up your beef up sheathing.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.