Introductory post, Hi!

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Soj

Introductory post, Hi!

Post by Soj »

Hi there!
So I went over the Forums rules and thought I might start with an introduction:
I'm a singer/songwriter/producer With some bare minimum knowledge of acoustics (i know what nrc, sweet spot, the basic do and don'ts ,difference between low\high freq in the acoustic realm, reflection points etc.
I guess I'm here Because I Wanna know more…

Some 8 or so years ago I've built my own acoustic frames from 80kg (1.20 x 60cm) rockwool as you can see in these pics, I've also purchased Really heavy condensed Bass traps from my acoustician.

I guess my goal is knowing more, specially about room measurements using room EQ wizard so i won't need to hire an acoustician next time i move, also id like to get my room to be the best it CAN be under the limitations.

My measurement Gear:

Mic:
I have Went with the forums adviceAnd Got myself a presonus PRM 1, Although I couldn't find any calibration files online.

Monitors:
Amphion one 18 + amphion amp 500

Sound Card:
apogee Element 24.

Currently I do not have a db meter, So I'll be using the decibel x app on my iphone x.

P.s
I have two very have and steady monitor stands But for some reason Placing my Monier is directly on the bass traps Provide me with a much larger stereo image.
Soj

Re: Introductory post, Hi!

Post by Soj »

So i did my 1st test according to soundtest2020's guide (hope i did all well)
Wonder if anyone can interpret it for me and also teach me how to read it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thank you!
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Hi! Thanks for reading the rules!

I'd suggest reading the help section of Room Eq Wizard and then ask a more specific question. The help section describes each part in detail.

Are there any specific things you are concerned with in terms of how your room sounds to you?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Soj

Post by Soj »

Gregwor wrote:Hi! Thanks for reading the rules!

I'd suggest reading the help section of Room Eq Wizard and then ask a more specific question. The help section describes each part in detail.

Are there any specific things you are concerned with in terms of how your room sounds to you?

Greg

Hi Greg, thanks for replying.
I'll read that section you suggested.
1st thing i wanted to know is whether i performed my 1st measurement well.
My room sounds Nice and my mixes translate relatively well to the outside world, i do however suffer from 114hz and some subs (probably the lower harmonics of that freq) and wanted to know if pilling more heavy absorption on the front and back walld could help with it.
Also acoustically speaking i know that no desk is better Than Having a desk But I like my desk And wish to keep it ,And so I thought about maybe Building a bass trap For the underneath section of my desk So it would vibrate less, Does this make sense?
I would also like to knowIf placing my speaker is the way did make sense.
The final thing is: I live in an apartment building and the neighbour just below me has an air conditioning Engine unit Outside and around 2 m below my front wall window And in summer when the ac compressor kicks In - My front wall generates around 60 Hz Thats is unbearable think the answer maybe to space apart the air conditioning unit (which probably wont happen) but perhaps there something I can do in my room to reduce the vibration come from the front wall (The more you move Towards the back wall The lower it gets).
Come to think about it when my wife plays music through system that has a subwoofer in the other room (We share the same front wall) I can hear subs in my room they are unbearably loud.
I have used a tone generator with 50hz and 120hz (that sounded the loudest to me at my sweet spot) and walked around the room as expected the 50 Hz Was amplified at the rooms corners And back and front wall The 120 HzS ounded the loudest On the front wall and the exact middle of the roomA nd it made my table vibrate Quite noticeably When placing my palm over it.
Thanks.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

It looks like you peaked your measurement at 130.5dB!!!!! You should be maxing around 90dB and averaging ~86dB with both speakers on. You can also limit your measurement to audible frequencies --> 20Hz to 20kHz.
i do however suffer from 114hz and some subs (probably the lower harmonics of that freq) and wanted to know if pilling more heavy absorption on the front and back walld could help with it.
Unfortunately you're fighting against the physical size of your room:

Room Dimensions: Length=3.45 m, Width=2.66 m, Height=2.67 m
Room Ratio: 1 : 1 : 1.29
R. Walker BBC 1996:
- 1.1w / h < l / h < ((4.5w / h) - 4): Fail
- l < 3h & w < 3h: Pass
- no integer multiple within 5%: Fail (ratio2 = ratio1 * 1)

With 2 out of 3 tests failed, you are never going to have a perfect room.

Your IR shows that you have a wicked reflection(s) around 1.4ms.

RT60 (ITU/EBU Control Room Recommended): 155 ms

Your RT60 is pretty close to this. You have killed a bit too much mid range and of course your bottom end is out of control. You don't have much decent bass trapping in the room. Behind your couch there is a nice corner you could place a big super chunk. You should put actual super chunks at the front corners of your room as well.
They look as if you need to toe them out some so that when you're sitting in mixing position, they pointing such that they graze across the tips of your ears.
Building a bass trap For the underneath section of my desk So it would vibrate less, Does this make sense?
That won't really help with the vibration of your desk but there indeed a corner under the front of your desk that you should utilize for bass trapping.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Soj

Post by Soj »

Gregwor wrote:
It looks like you peaked your measurement at 130.5dB!!!!! You should be maxing around 90dB and averaging ~86dB with both speakers on. You can also limit your measurement to audible frequencies --> 20Hz to 20kHz.
i do however suffer from 114hz and some subs (probably the lower harmonics of that freq) and wanted to know if pilling more heavy absorption on the front and back walld could help with it.
Unfortunately you're fighting against the physical size of your room:

Room Dimensions: Length=3.45 m, Width=2.66 m, Height=2.67 m
Room Ratio: 1 : 1 : 1.29
R. Walker BBC 1996:
- 1.1w / h < l / h < ((4.5w / h) - 4): Fail
- l < 3h & w < 3h: Pass
- no integer multiple within 5%: Fail (ratio2 = ratio1 * 1)

With 2 out of 3 tests failed, you are never going to have a perfect room.

Your IR shows that you have a wicked reflection(s) around 1.4ms.

RT60 (ITU/EBU Control Room Recommended): 155 ms

Your RT60 is pretty close to this. You have killed a bit too much mid range and of course your bottom end is out of control. You don't have much decent bass trapping in the room. Behind your couch there is a nice corner you could place a big super chunk. You should put actual super chunks at the front corners of your room as well.
They look as if you need to toe them out some so that when you're sitting in mixing position, they pointing such that they graze across the tips of your ears.
Building a bass trap For the underneath section of my desk So it would vibrate less, Does this make sense?
That won't really help with the vibration of your desk but there indeed a corner under the front of your desk that you should utilize for bass trapping.

Greg
Hi Greg.
Regarding the 130db i know, i measured the spl to be 80 and not 75 just like the guide said and still my peaks are at 130db, any idea why that happens?
Regarding the freq 20-20k the guide said to enter larger values...so i did.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

i measured the spl to be 80 and not 75 just like the guide said and still my peaks are at 130db, any idea why that happens?
After you set it to 80dB, you have to enter that value into the REW meter calibration.

Greg
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

You are alive still Soj? Those SPL numbers are not real.
Sweep levels of 80-85 dB are pretty uncomfortable. One would leave or use earplugs above that sort of level. But few speakers would deliver much above 100dB anyway.
What did your Decibel X say during the sweeps? Was in on an iPhone?

The best way to address the A/C unit would be to install some for purpose isolators. These would 'float' the unit, and if tuned right it's vibrations will not get through the springs to your building.
You could try the same for the subs. Structure borne sound travels way way faster and better than airborne, so if you break contact with rubber pucks or springs you should achieve great improvements.
https://mason-ind.com
Soj

Post by Soj »

Ok did another run please let me know if i did it well.
I think in my previous test my mic's gain was too sensitive? idk.

Anyway here it is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

That new measurement looks like you did it correctly!

Greg
Soj

Post by Soj »

Gregwor wrote:That new measurement looks like you did it correctly!

Greg
Thanks Greg, And what do make of them as potential problams in my room and what do you suggest as a solutions?
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I think just the same as I had posted here:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 38#p153279

Greg