Room Set-Up and Bass Traps for Vocal Recording Studio

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

dpestlin

Room Set-Up and Bass Traps for Vocal Recording Studio

Post by dpestlin »

Thanks in advance for any insights. I record YouTube videos in my 14x12ft bedroom studio. I have about 110 square feet of 2 inch thick acoustic foam spread out in the room at key reflection points, and above my head where I record.

For bass traps, I have 5 bales of rolled up insulation (3 huge, and 2 small), wrapped in plastic, with light polyester stuffing between the plastic and a cotton cover. The roles are in the trihedral corners where I can fit them. In the other trihedral corners, I have 12 inch x 12 inch foam "bass traps". I also have 14 feet of smaller 12x7 foam "bass traps" where the wall meets the ceiling at key parts of the room.

The room has drywall walls, a queen bed in the center, and carpeting. One of the walls (away from where I speak) is covered with shelving filled with boxes, and all covered with a thick bed comforter.

My questions are:
1) Considering I am using this room to record my voice for videos, does this room seem to have a good acoustic set-up?

2) For my cheap foam "bass traps" should I shove them as deep into the corners of the room as possible, or leave an air gap above them. If so, how much of a gap?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Gregwor

Re: Room Set-Up and Bass Traps for Vocal Recording Studio

Post by Gregwor »

You've basically double posted about your treatment here bud.

I answered your bass trap questions in your other thread.
1) Considering I am using this room to record my voice for videos, does this room seem to have a good acoustic set-up?
Not really. You have a ton of foam, carpet, typical bedroom furniture AND a bed comforter. Luckily you do have some bass trapping in place, but everything else I listed will totally eat all of your mid highs and highs leaving a super dead and boomy character.

Do you own the place?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.