New design

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Gregwor

Re: New design

Post by Gregwor »

Your layout makes for weird shaped rooms that leave a lot of space unusable. I just chopped up your photo to show you some other options that would allow for usable storage and lounge areas. These would also give you a live room that doesn't leave unusable little nooks.

What do you think about these?
Far Side.jpg
Center.jpg
Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
1970428scj

Post by 1970428scj »

Gregwor wrote:Your layout makes for weird shaped rooms that leave a lot of space unusable. I just chopped up your photo to show you some other options that would allow for usable storage and lounge areas. These would also give you a live room that doesn't leave unusable little nooks.

What do you think about these?
Far Side.jpg
Center.jpg
Greg
Greg
Thanks for the reply, I tired Both of those designs,the issue is sight lines with the 1st one,
1 window , very hard to see.
I also 90 ed the control room which makes best use of the space, but faces the engineer and production team facing 90 degrees away from the artist.
Thanks
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Can you move the exterior doors?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
1970428scj

Post by 1970428scj »

Gregwor wrote:Can you move the exterior doors?

Greg
Depends on which one , front door needs to remain by the bathroom, this is due to neighbors , noise and the view.
The rear door that is a load in door in the rear directly into the live room. Could maybe be moved.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I don't see where the live room exterior is on your diagram. Can you post a pic of that?

Greg
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Hi,

If sight lines is one of the major priorities for your studio then I would consider going back to a corner control room design like this. You wouldn't be able to predict your room modes as accurately as with a completely rectangular room, but it might be a good compromise.

Paul
Paul
1970428scj

Post by 1970428scj »

Hi
Trying to keep the most space between the 2 leafs, I have 90 ed the control room and have inside leaf at 17 x 23 x10 ft, but space is tight again. I need to save a few feet on the length 23'. I can make the inside leaf shorter which makes room ratios not as nice or less space between leafs.
Is it a good idea to make the MSM spacing 16" in the live room and 12" or less on control room?
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Is it a good idea to make the MSM spacing 16" in the live room and 12" or less on control room?
It all depends on how much isolation you need at low frequencies. Check out the hypothetical isolation you'll achieve by either increasing the mass or increasing the gap:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=21770

Just like how mass law is unfair, there is a point where it's not feasible to increase the gap any further. In my opinion a live room does in fact require a lot more isolation than a control room.

Greg
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

^ What Greg said.

Plus there is the argument that the isolation between the tracking room(s) and control room does not need to be as heavy duty as the isolation between the entire studio and the outside world. A lot of control rooms are single partition walls, which actually helps acoustically since some of that low end can escape through the walls instead of being reflected back into the room. It only needs to be good enough to function - since you will generally be monitoring the source from the tracking room inside the control room there is no need to go further.

Paul
Paul
1970428scj

Post by 1970428scj »

Thank you for the reply
Here is what I’m thinking now I want to get some feedback.

Hope everyone is safe ,
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Here is what I’m thinking now I want to get some feedback.
- Your picture is pretty clear but next time try either doing a screenshot or else export the 2D image from SketchUp. One trick to get a clear picture is to export it at something high like 4000px wide as a png. Then, open up some picture editor (I'm not sure of the built in one in Windows, but Gimp is a great free program that for sure could do it) and save it at 1200px wide and to get the file size small enough to upload on the site, save it as a jpg and turn the quality down. It's easy to do these steps on Preview on a Mac. I do own a PC and with some time on my hands here now maybe I'll figure out how to do it and post a step by step. Everyone likes a clear picture!

- Your layout seems to work well

- I would move the door going into your control room to the middle of the control room rear wall. You could install a diffuser on the door so that you would still have a great look and proper acoustic treatment back there.

- I would move the exterior door in your live room further from the corner if possible. If you can't, it's not the end of the world.

- I would make your doors at least 3 feet wide because once you have the bank vault style stops in place, the door loses some width.
Hope everyone is safe
My family is all sick here with the common cold but no covid-19 symptoms yet. We've been self isolating for 5 days now and it's tough to keep the kids entertained while trying to stay productive. We'll get through this! I hope you and everyone else on here are safe and healthy as well.

Greg
1970428scj

Post by 1970428scj »

Hi Greg,
I am taking a picture with my phone and emailing it to myself at a lower quality, I played with in on my Mac but it kept giving me the error, file to large.
I have a business in the A/V industry, we are completely shut down.
The problems is they did not pause the loans.
I started the business in 1994 and have been able to survive and grow a ton over the last year.
We are a d&b audiotechnik house so the gear is $$$$ we have serval loans out to stay competitive,
Just bought new trucks, digico and avid consoles etc.
Now this crap!

Is it better to build doors or buy?
I am aware of the 2 x solid core doors, with neoprene between and the bank vault jam.

I was planning on the 2 outside doors, rear door to live room and front door to lock.
Be a high quality type house/ industrial type doors and building or buying proper studio doors.

If my room is 90 degrees that puts the glass on the left side how to treat this if that’s the case?
Jeff
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I am taking a picture with my phone and emailing it to myself at a lower quality, I played with in on my Mac but it kept giving me the error, file to large.
On your mac, export 2D at 4000px. Open it in preview. Adjust the size to 1200px for the largest dimension. Then go file --> export and choose jpg. On the quality slider, set it just a tiny tiny bit left of full quality. It will estimate the file size at the bottom of that export window. Typically just a nudge left of full quality gets it under the file size limit of the forum.
I started the business in 1994 and have been able to survive and grow a ton over the last year.
We are a d&b audiotechnik house so the gear is $$$$ we have serval loans out to stay competitive,
Now this crap!
That's brutal. My wife is looking into smaller/cheaper houses to move which means my dream of building my studio is over. But, I'm obviously going to hold out as long as I can as I realize the housing market is probably about to crash.

What d&b rigs do you have? They are always my fav to mix on. And what Digico consoles do you have? I can't wait to try the new Quantum. I've used every other one and they are my fav other than the SSL Live series and S6L. I did a big show in Milwaukee a few years ago and 7 Digico reps were there. I was so nervous as they sat behind me on movie producer style chairs. It was an SD5 running into an SD11 sub mixer. I remember just shaking as I pushed my USB stick in to load my show. They were impressed and gave me a little care package which was awesome.
Digico.jpg
Build = cheaper.
Be a high quality type house/ industrial type doors and building or buying proper studio doors.
Make sure they are solid core wood doors.
If my room is 90 degrees that puts the glass on the left side how to treat this if that’s the case?
I would shorten the windows so that your soffit wing (assuming you're soffit mounting your speakers) isn't screwed up at all. Otherwise, you could use the window as part of the soffit wing. You'd just have to match the profile on the other side of your room.

Greg
1970428scj

Post by 1970428scj »

Gregwor wrote:
On your mac, export 2D at 4000px. Open it in preview. Adjust the size to 1200px for the largest dimension. Then go file --> export and choose jpg. On the quality slider, set it just a tiny tiny bit left of full quality. It will estimate the file size at the bottom of that export window. Typically just a nudge left of full quality gets it under the file size limit of the forum.
Now this crap!
That's brutal. My wife is looking into smaller/cheaper houses to move which means my dream of building my studio is over. But, I'm obviously going to hold out as long as I can as I realize the housing market is probably about to crash.

What d&b rigs do you have? They are always my fav to mix on. And what Digico consoles do you have? I can't wait to try the new Quantum. I've used every other one and they are my fav other than the SSL Live series and S6L. I did a big show in Milwaukee a few years ago and 7 Digico reps were there. I was so nervous as they sat behind me on movie producer style chairs. It was an SD5 running into an SD11 sub mixer. I remember just shaking as I pushed my USB stick in to load my show. They were impressed and gave me a little care package which was awesome.
Digico.jpg
Build = cheaper.
Make sure they are solid core wood doors.
I would shorten the windows so that your soffit wing (assuming you're soffit mounting your speakers) isn't screwed up at all. Otherwise, you could use the window as part of the soffit wing. You'd just have to match the profile on the other side of your room.

Greg
Is there a link you might have to door design?

I own 88 boxes and 20 D80
J 8/12, V8/12, J subs, infra J subs and B22’s
Digico I have a sd10 but have mixed in a sd5 far more.
Avid S6l, profiles, sc48’s and Yamaha cl5’s

Studio I have a vintage API I bought in 2002.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Is there a link you might have to door design?
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... stic-Doors

Greg