Small studio design: Maximize M2 Verses Room ratios?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

ACBRON

Small studio design: Maximize M2 Verses Room ratios?

Post by ACBRON »

Hi everyone, my name is Adam, from Melbourne, Australia.
I’ve been lurking for a while now, and while I’ve learnt so much already, there’s so much more to learn of course.
My studio is to be an all in one control room/ song writing and “live” (mostly a guitar or vocals one at a time etc..). I’ve finally decided to post a question, that I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer on, and it deeply effects my design.

Due to the outer structure I’m working with (more on that in another thread at a later time), I’m limited to maximum inner leaf floor size of only 16.3M2 (4.18* 3.9m without going to inside out walls and keeping a decent gap between leaves). The vaulted ceiling height (inner leaf) at this stage will be averaged to 2.45M (unless I can squeeze more out of it (still planning)).

** Please Note I’m Ignoring the actual building/construction & isolation specs etc, for just this question for simplicities sake.**

I know that at 4.18*3.9*2.45m size it fails on the Bob Golds ratio tests. If I bring it down to 4.18* 3.8*2.45M it passes the test and the Bonello curve looks smooth, but it also brings down the floor area to 15.88M2
So my question is, at such a small sized room, that will need tonnes of treatment anyway, should I focus on the maximum floor footprint to give the longer sound waves a chance and “fix” it with treatment or work towards a “pass” on the test (which still needs lots of treatment anyway)?
If size is the winner, I could get to approximately 17.7m2 with all four walls built inside out, but is it worth the extra effort/headaches?

Once I’ve nutted this out, I can get into some final drafts and then the real design fun starts .

Thanks,
Adam :)
Cheers,
Adam :-)
Gregwor

Re: Small studio design: Maximize M2 Verses Room ratios?

Post by Gregwor »

I don't think there is a scientific right or wrong answer here.

Here's my thoughts: *hahaha my thoughts changed half way through writing my first answer, so here are my new thoughts*

Since the dimension change in order to pass the tests is a pretty small amount (only 0.1m), and you're already fighting a room that will never sound big, my vote would be to make your inner leaf smaller, pass the tests and therefore give you a fighting chance.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
ACBRON

Post by ACBRON »

Hey Greg, thanks for the reply.
That was my thoughts too (for months actually), Then I started thinking about the huge amount of treatment it will need regardless. Then the brain starts playing tricks like thinking I can get more treatment in a larger room.

I’ve also read mixed thoughts in other threads on rooms below 20m2 and not worrying about the test, but no one ever seems to give any conviction on the subject.
Gut feel is to play safe and follow the ratio test, but gut feel isn’t always the correct way.
Cheers,
Adam :-)
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Fwiw, sound travels about 20% slower through fibre, so your treatment, if large in area and of reasonable depth will change the acoustic dimensions.
Small rooms are of course difficult, but the VPR, Modex Plate, seems to work very well.