Placing Absorbers in Room

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

wav.chrissi

Placing Absorbers in Room

Post by wav.chrissi »

Fortunately i stumbled across this forum! Really excited to see what you guys are gonna "teach" me.

Currently I'm switching my music room into a home studio. Mixing as well as recording takes place in this room. In terms of recording I would like to record drums as well as vocals or guitars.

I've already did some research on treating a room and based on that I drew in the absorbers and basstraps (superchunks) how I would do it. But I appreciate every improvement proposal !!! I will attach two files; one shows my room how i use it (placement of speakers, mixing and recording area), the other one shows how I'd treat the room. As monitors I use a pair of eve sc307.

The Absorbers I would build by myself. 1,20m (lenght) x 60cm (width) x 8cm deep. Rockwool will be used for the absorbtion material. On the wall facing the monitors I would double the thickness up to 16cm. Superchunks in every corner. On the file I attached you guys can see how I would distribute the Absorbers. Should I add Diffusors?

Different question: Should I hang the Absorbers on the wall, so that the have equal distance from floor and ceiling?

I should also mention that I don't really have any clue of room mods or stuff like that.

My request would be if you could improve my plans or would do something maybe completely different in terms of treatment.

The Dimensions of the room are: 5,61m x 3,98m x 2,12m (length x width x hight) The walls are made out of concrete and the ceiling is made out of a material called Ytong, oh and the room is fitted with a Vinyl floor. There are also two doors and two windows in the room. The windows are litte above halfway up the room, they are 1 m wide and 60 cm high and they are placed in a window reveal of about 20cm.

My goal is to eliminate the flutter echo as well as the bass build up. Cause if I play the Kickdrum right now it just sounds like a big wall of bass echo.

Looking forward to your answers. Thanks in advance!! :yahoo:
Gregwor

Re: Placing Absorbers in Room

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome!
Should I hang the Absorbers on the wall, so that the have equal distance from floor and ceiling?
I would put them at ear and/or microphone height.
Should I add Diffusors?
Your mix position is far enough from the rear wall to allow you to have some, yes.
On the wall facing the monitors I would double the thickness up to 16cm.
Your picture only shows 2 panels. You should build a frame across the entire rear wall and completely fill it. 2 panels won't be enough. Also, I would go as thick as possible.
My goal is to eliminate the flutter echo as well as the bass build up. Cause if I play the Kickdrum right now it just sounds like a big wall of bass echo.
Remember that you have 12 corners in your room. Bass traps in all of them :D

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
wav.chrissi

Post by wav.chrissi »

Hey! Thanks for your quicke answer. Very helpful indeed. :D

For the Diffusor(s), where would be a good spot to place them (it)?

Big Thanks!! :yahoo:
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

For the Diffusor(s), where would be a good spot to place them (it)?
In the rear half of the room. Maybe not at ear height.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.