Minimum size for acoustic hangers

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

BigFry

Minimum size for acoustic hangers

Post by BigFry »

Hi guys,

Big thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum, it has been a great help in my learning.

Does anyone have any idea on what would be a minimum practical size for acoustic hangers to be effective?

I am working on a small voice booth/edit space/mixing room ( http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=22260 ) and I was considering hangers for my small soffits.

In my two previous studio builds, I've used mostly porous absorption and also tuned membrane traps for bass management with good success. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but even some practical experience or guidelines on their usage anyone could share would be useful to me.

Thanks
kywoman

Re: Minimum size for acoustic hangers

Post by kywoman »

bump - also very interested!
Paulus87

Re: Minimum size for acoustic hangers

Post by Paulus87 »

BigFry wrote:Hi guys,

Big thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum, it has been a great help in my learning.

Does anyone have any idea on what would be a minimum practical size for acoustic hangers to be effective?

I am working on a small voice booth/edit space/mixing room ( http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =1&t=22260 ) and I was considering hangers for my small soffits.

In my two previous studio builds, I've used mostly porous absorption and also tuned membrane traps for bass management with good success. I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question, but even some practical experience or guidelines on their usage anyone could share would be useful to me.

Thanks
Hi,

So acoustic hangers are really just wave guide absorbers. In my opinion, they work by breaking up the waves much like a rock in a stream. This produces an impedance change so the waves start to lose energy as they try to go round the wave guides, which redirect the energy which is then absorbed by the insulation on the wave guides (the core of the hanger) as well as the air in between the hangers.

But, they do not actually need to hang in order to work. You could build some panels as slim as 8" for example, with rigid ply wave guides angled inside. Fill the areas around the wave guides with low density insulation and cover with fabric.

Paul
Paul