Metal vs. Wood structure for studio build

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

BornInJuneFL

Metal vs. Wood structure for studio build

Post by BornInJuneFL »

Hey everyone, my name is Gene. I live in Jacksonville Fl. and I wanted to get everyone’s thoughts on the pros and cons of Metal buildings vs. wood structures for a small studio. 500 square foot and under specifically with neighbors that are close by, within 100 ft., recording full bands/loud drums etc.I’ve been reading the forum for a while now and I would like to say thank to everyone here for the wealth of information available. Thanks again for your time.
Gregwor

Re: Metal vs. Wood structure for studio build

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome!

Metal framing is very thin and not very strong. It's harder to work with plus without care, it's pretty easy to cut yourself. For these reasons alone I prefer wood.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
BornInJuneFL

Post by BornInJuneFL »

I was referring to the actual outer structure, building a studio inside a prefab metal building. All inner leaf walls and ceiling being wood but the main structure is metal such as a detached metal garage or storage building. I wasn’t sure if there were any drawbacks to the exterior structure being metal. Thank you for getting back with me.

https://www.choicemetalbuildings.com/wp ... al-1-1.jpg
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I was referring to the actual outer structure, building a studio inside a prefab metal building. All inner leaf walls and ceiling being wood but the main structure is metal such as a detached metal garage or storage building. I wasn’t sure if there were any drawbacks to the exterior structure being metal.
I understand now.

The only downside would be difficulty beefing up the sheathing so that you have enough mass to achieve your desired isolation.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
BornInJuneFL

Post by BornInJuneFL »

Awesome, that’s all I needed. Thank you again for your time.