Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

mrfye17

Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !

Post by mrfye17 »

Hi People,

I'm getting closer to completing treatment for my home studio, thanks to a bunch of info answering my threads/posts.

My room is 11' 6" x 18' and am about to do some measuring, but before I do, I have a rear wall question.

The side/back wall corners and the ceiling/back wall corner have 17" x 17" soffits filled with Roxul Safe'n'Sound. (Black)

The 3 panels for the face of the rear wall are 6" thick (with the sides cut-out for a little extra effectiveness) and will each have an air gap of 6". (Red)

At the moment, distance between each panel is approx. 7". (Pics attached).

My question is....

Shall I leave the 3 Panels as they appear in the pic, or shall I add 1 more panel, making it 4 panels in total, so as to make it more of a solid wall of coverage?

Which will be more effective?

Thank You
Gregwor

Re: Rear Wall Treatment Coverage !

Post by Gregwor »

It's impossible for us to answer your question without:

- seeing the rest of the layout of the room and what all of your treatment is
- seeing REW data

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

I would take an educated guess and recommend the 4rth panel. There seems to be no limit to the amount of useful absorption you could have on a back wall.
https://realtraps.com/art_modes.htm
Detail though as Greg may be alluding to..... They might perform better if shifted down to the Floor/Back Wall corner

A bit late perhaps but here's an interesting measurement from a Kiwi Studio build by a friend Jeff Hedback. Soffit Trapping before and after adding simple pegboard.
Kiwi Pegboard.jpg
mrfye17

Post by mrfye17 »

Thanks Greg and Dan Dan,

I think I'll take your advice - leave back wall as in the pic, take some measurements and post them. Hopefully you get a chance to take a look and make some sense of them lol!

I don't mind the room being on the deadish side (actually prefer it) !

Just so you can get a better idea of where I'm at......

So far, I've also used same absorption (Black) soffits for the Front corners (floor to ceiling) and Front wall/ceiling corner (pic below).

Also, there are 2 panels on each side wall (red ones 48" x 24" x 6" deep) for the RFZ.

I will put up a ceiling cloud, but not until I get the measurements done and analized to determine the Final Speaker and Listening position...that's why the room is still a bit of a mess with guide marks on the wall and Side panels not properly hung yet (Sorry about that!)

I've also attached diagrams on the plan......Hope this helps!

Also, still not sure whether to put any front wall absorbers or not...what do you think?....or wait for measurements first?

-Chris
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Your rear wall could use a lot more treatment for sure. Lots of DEEP insulation is key there. You're missing out on treating your floor tri-corners on your back wall as well. Bass trapping is probably the most important thing you can do in your room so do as much of it as you can!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
mrfye17

Post by mrfye17 »

I hear you Greg.

The left bottom of the rear wall I will definitely fill with one more Soffit Bass trap.
THe problem with the bottom Right hand side is that I have an air conditioning Vent near the corner that should be left unblocked...unfortunately!

Also, I think I'm going to end up putting a 4th 6" deep panel with 6" air gap on the rear well.

Will do some measurements and post them here.

Thanks
mrfye17

Post by mrfye17 »

Hi Gregwor and DanDan,

I finally did a whole bunch of Measurements (about 17 million) and need some SERIOUS HELP with them in order to narrow down best Speaker and Listening Position.

Instead of continuing here, I created another thread to focus on this....could you please take a look and if you want to use the Results for any reason as examples or anything or to use anywhere....Please feel free to do so.

Link to New Thread http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22323

Thank You,

Chris