another garage conversion

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

anodivirta

Re: another garage conversion

Post by anodivirta »

I did actually have an measurement, where mic was closer
and in that one the difference L/R is lot smaller!

Also attached is picture of difference of two mic postions.
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

Attached measurements of left speaker,
Mic moved to different distances from front wall
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

So is this ~90hz room mode?
I remember reading topic about graph that acted like this with mic movement but cant find it now..
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

note how the curve has flattened on one position. the peaks can be turned down via EQ.
Glenn
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

gullfo wrote:note how the curve has flattened on one position. the peaks can be turned down via EQ.
Yes I was wondering that! Closer the front wall I move the flatter it gets :D
I can eq that with glm when I bring my main speakers.

So how does the situation change if I soffit my speakers? Front wall will move(or part of it?) and it changes the situation(?)

Btw.should I also do "empty room" measurements with my big speakers or it doesn matter?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

the soffits will cause a change in the LF response because (if done correctly) the baffle step will eliminate the "wrap-around" of LF and form a single wave front. you then compensate this (hence baffle step correction) typically reducing the LF by around 6db. of course tuning the response would be easier with a parametric-type crossover on the speaker system.
Glenn
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

I'm now puzzled by soffits or speaker location:
If I understand this correctly, soffit wall should be very sturdy->does this mean that my rooms "shell" will be altered?
ie.middle section of my front wall will now be (~0.5meters/depth of soffit) closer to my listening postition.
is there a way to predict is there going to be (big) change in my graphs in low frequencies purely caused by this new wall?

I guess this boils down to knowing should I also take measurements where speakers are moved to different positions ie.if I do soffit
I would put speakers close to the space they would be when soffitted or if I take easier route and use speakers on stands I would place speakers away from the wall.

last measurement was made by setting speakers as close as I could get them of front wall, 55% of the room width apart.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

the soffit approach eliminates the issues that free standing monitors have - mainly SBIR. however, they're more complex to design and build. they need to be rigid and ideally decoupled from the surrounding walls, floors, and ceiling. angled to maximize the listening position and sealed but vented to ensure heat off the speakers are released.
Glenn
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

gullfo wrote:the soffit approach eliminates the issues that free standing monitors have - mainly SBIR. however, they're more complex to design and build. they need to be rigid and ideally decoupled from the surrounding walls, floors, and ceiling. angled to maximize the listening position and sealed but vented to ensure heat off the speakers are released.
yes I've been trying to study them and I realize how hard they are to make correctly, let alone some of those fancy tensioning etc Ive seen in Nortwards designs.

I quess that again after some thinking, main reason for soffits in my case would be that I could use this small space more efficiently ie. if I make superchunks in corners, my floor standing speakers would have to be moved back from front wall and that would shift the whole room back while with soffits my speakers could stay more back.

I know it would be stupid reason to soffit speakers, but since this is quite small space, I have to compromise between good sounding room vs.room that has no space.

But again if I want to make proper and good soffit, I know that I will spend this coming year asking questions and designing stuff..while without soffits I think designing and building would be MUCH faster.

I think it's quite hard to find good reference designs in this(or other) forums that are designed without soffiting speakers.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

did you ever post the room dimensions? i'm looking through the thread and only see the initial raw space dimensions.
Glenn
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

gullfo wrote:did you ever post the room dimensions? i'm looking through the thread and only see the initial raw space dimensions.
Yes sorry!
Measurements are:
Height:230cm
Lenght:413cm
Width: 288.5cm (inside-out walls measured from widest place)
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

so you could do soffits fairly easily in this size room. you'd need to route out a bezel to fit the edges of the speakers but that can work. something like this:
Glenn
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

gullfo wrote:so you could do soffits fairly easily in this size room. you'd need to route out a bezel to fit the edges of the speakers but that can work. something like this:
thank you Glenn and those renderings look really good!

I guess next question is would "semi proper" soffit installation be better than leave speakers on floor stands?
if I open this question up a bit: if I would start building now, I would make 2x4 frames, shelf for the speakers, build some sort of mdf box where to place my speaker(maybe copy attached official flush mount kit) where speakers are standing on isopods, with no sylomer etc on below/back/sides of speaker(?) leaving space for heat/air to circulate, then couple of layers something heavy sheets for frontpanel.

I know that I would really need to also make sure that speaker would be floating behind front panel (standing on some stand/not touching soffit "face"), this is something that is still unclear to me and would require a lot reading.

+then there is also this;
genelec wrote: Wooden walls are not recommended as these are typically not lossy and stiff enough and the unit mass of a wooden wall remains rather low.
https://support.genelec.com/hc/en-us/ar ... nstructed-
but I think they are referring to wall materials more than framing, but still I wouldnt want to make concrete wall for these :shock:

I wish there would be some light-version of soffit:)
one option is to build rest of the room and use it while searching for more info..and when I feel ready add soffits.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

properly designed, wood frame based soffits are workable. its a matter of getting the framing to be stiff enough along with layers of dense panels. and decoupled speakers/boxes to reduce any structural transfers. less hard in practice than over-thinking it :-)

you could go with free standing and front walls absorption and see how it works for you. then as you become accustomed to the room and you find the remaining SBIR effects (and etc) are problematic, then you can build out the soffit approach.
Glenn
anodivirta

Post by anodivirta »

gullfo wrote:properly designed, wood frame based soffits are workable. its a matter of getting the framing to be stiff enough along with layers of dense panels. and decoupled speakers/boxes to reduce any structural transfers. less hard in practice than over-thinking it :-)

you could go with free standing and front walls absorption and see how it works for you. then as you become accustomed to the room and you find the remaining SBIR effects (and etc) are problematic, then you can build out the soffit approach.
Thanks Glenn!
I might actually have a bit bad habit of sometimes overthinking :D

I think that could be the way to go in my case!