Help with REW data and choosing mix position

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

mcostan

Help with REW data and choosing mix position

Post by mcostan »

While I have spent many hours trying to glean knowledge from this forum I did not come across the protocol for posting REW test prior to taking these tests so please forgive me. I'll happily follow protocol moving forward.

The room is 12'L x 12'W x 8 1/2' H
Primacoustic London 12 room kit with two additional 2x4 panels
Mackie HR 624 Mk1 Monitors on Isoacoustic stands
2' deep superchunks in all corners. The two at the doors are movable.
REW tests done at 75dB

I've played around with different mix positions as indicated in the REW tests hoping to find the path of least resistance. Initially each test has the monitors a few inches out from the wall 4 feet apart centered with the test mic 4 feet from each monitor respectively (equilateral triangle style) All about 44" off the ground. Then for kicks I placed the monitors in the corners against the chunks facing back in at the mic still in its initial position. I also tried a mix position in the right corner of the east wall using the same 4' triangle placment of monitors and mic. This was the position that I based my initial acoustic panel application. Unfortunately I do not have photos of this but you can tell from the pics I posted where the spikes are on the walls. Basically there were 1x4 panels spread out behind the monitors. 2x4 panels at the windows and the scatter blocks on the rear walls. The treatments remained in this configuration for all the REW tests except the soffit test. I built the wall to flush mount the monitors as an experiment to see how it would affect the test results. For the soffit tests I did one without acoustic panels and one with all the 1x4 and 2x4 panels on the rear walls.

For each test the monitors were set to their appropriate acoustic space mode (Type A or B) and Type C when in the soffit.

I realize because of my room dimensions it's going to be a battle. My hope was these tests would help me wisely choose that battle.
Can I anyone tell from these tests which direction I should go in?

I also discovered in building the soffit that my exterior walls don't have insulation. Old house apparently code didn't require it. Can't be good to have a bunch of empty cavities surrounding my room right?

Thanks,
Marshall

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6n29mej0pkrp ... s.cal?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnk6dj5mj2bav ... .mdat?dl=0
North Wall.jpg
South Wall.jpg
East Wall.jpg
West Wall.jpg
Soffit.jpg
Gregwor

Re: Help with REW data and choosing mix position

Post by Gregwor »

East Wall Cor Type A looks to be the best to start with. You have some reflections that could hopefully be dealt with fairly easily!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.