Quick links to studio designs by dimension?

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

adamxlevy

Quick links to studio designs by dimension?

Post by adamxlevy »

Hi Everyone,

i have never been part of a forum i did read the faq but im probably doing something not quite to requirement, i will learn!

is there a way to search for an already designed studio at a certain dimension? i tried to search but when i put in 32' x 24' x 12' ( the dimensions of my future studio) is is quite difficult to actually find a useful result from the search, maybe it just does not exist on the forum?

Before i get too far into what i think i will do with my space i wouldn't mind seeing some other options in the same size category.
I'm starting to draw my building, ill probably do a couple versions before i post for help tying to get better at sketchup but as a reference i threw in a couple photos ( i hope they aren't outside the pixel limit, not completely sure how to check/change that.)

The building is stucco, regular framing/insulation, vapor barrier, drywall, it has a bathroom with a shower and a toilet, and a gas heater in the roof that i need to decide what to do with but it gets pretty cold in Canada sooo.

Thanks! and sorry for probably breaking some rules already
Gregwor

Re: Quick links to studio designs by dimension?

Post by Gregwor »

Welcome!
is there a way to search for an already designed studio at a certain dimension?
This won't exist because every single space is different. Some people require isolation, others don't. Buildings are made of different materials. Some spaces are designated mixing/listening rooms. Others are tracking rooms. Others are multi-use.

Do you want one big space or do you want to divide it up into designated rooms? Do you need things like a storage room or a lounge? What sort of music are you going to be creating in the room? Is it for jamming/demoing with your band or is it going to be a commercial space? Are there buildings near by that you need to keep sound from leaking to? Do you need isolation to keep things like rain, traffic, etc from getting into your recordings/disturb you while trying to critically mix? What is your budget?

There are lots of things to consider when designing your space and you need to figure these out so that you can try your best to match your needs. There are usually quite a few details to juggle and compromise on.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Does this give you an idea of where you could go with this?

Cheers
john
adamxlevy.JPG
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
adamxlevy

Post by adamxlevy »

Very much so John!

Do you have a sketchup file for the photo? I am learning sketchup currently but sometimes it easier to reverse engineer than engineer from scratch.

I was interested in just seeing something that existed in a space of similar size to just have an idea of some of the potential options.

I'm going to work very hard on coming up with some real information over this winter in regards to what I plan on doing, what my budget is, how much sound I need to keep in/out, its main purpose, etc...

I intend on recording for bands for free to start in my local scene. Not looking to make money so much as build a viable scene and put out quality recordings for people that just need that help getting started off. One day I'm sure I'll make money at it but more of a team player situation to start.

I have had quite a good career in the live industry and have a fairly extensive list of a few famous and semi famous artists and people I have worked for.

I really know live sound really well and fly pa systems for large events in arena and stadiums and open air situations and have mixed FOH for crowds upto 13000 people.

I just want to avoid in costly mistakes as I venture more into the recording side if the industry.

Thanks for creating a great resource like this (forum)
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

I can tell you from experience that it's typically harder to reverse engineer a SketchUp file than to just start from scratch. I would suggest tackling your design from scratch based on exactly your needs.

Out of curiosity, do you know Adam Potter or Travis Saunders?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
adamxlevy

Post by adamxlevy »

I think Travis plays in Properman with Nori Wentworth?

I don't know him personally. But I have had their band on a stage before in a small arena.

And I'll agree to disagree on the reverse engineering.
I take set designs for live events from previous events and make new ones out of them regularly. Much faster than starting from scratch. :D
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

Here's the .skp file, I had to remove some of the components as they are copyright.

cheers
john
adamxlevy.skp
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
adamxlevy

Post by adamxlevy »

Quick update on my project.

Its taking more time than i expected, but i am making some headway.... I have had to balance keeping the wife happy in the house with renos and updates and have not had as much money for the studio but progress is still being made.

I decided to update the appeal of the outside of the area before committing too much money and energy to the actual studio build.
The property i bought needed some serious face lift. I bought a hoarders property and have been working non stop. (not quite like TV, but the negligence to the property is the real problem for me.)

I've built a nice fence and a great commercial sliding gate in front of the shop/studio(pictured.. - old fence literally fell over this winter and i had my hand forced). I plan to fix the building pictured in the back with gutters and paint and general maintenance making it look brand new and appealing for customers/ artists /awesome people.

Once the exterior is protecting my interior i will start construction on my studio space. my only problem currently is deciding to commit the entire building to studio or retaining a portion of the interior space for tools and dirt bikes, welding fabrication etc...and general shop things. perhaps a smart design for the space that i could morph into more audio space as necessary would be a good move.

I plan on recording live of the floor so whole a band situations will be expected but mostly me recording myself for fun to get really fluent with software and interfacing the studio before looking for too much traffic on the floor.

A large question of mine is how to tackle these garage doors(can see in the background of photo regarding isolation and interfacing the interior and exterior.

Ill update with progress, but it will be slow probably.. :lol:
20200414_183810.jpg
I managed to avoid burying my children in the process :o :horse:
20200404_140204.jpg
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

A large question of mine is how to tackle these garage doors(can see in the background of photo regarding isolation and interfacing the interior and exterior.
Here is a post showing how you should deal with it. I have more pictures if you require them!

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 68#p149768

Greg