Control Room - looking for advice, all rules followed

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

jgoldkamp

Control Room - looking for advice, all rules followed

Post by jgoldkamp »

I have a 12' 9" Wide by 10' 11" Long and *7'6" tall room. The asterisk that is there is a duct going through the room lengthwise that I soffetted out. It measures 46 1/2" from the right wall and drops 9 1/2" at a roughly 45° angle to 37 5/8" from the right wall.

I have the room treated with panels built out of whitewood and Roxul Safe n' Sound covered in speaker cloth, along with what I believe to be four useless GIK Gridfusors that I'm about to return. The front, behind desk, above window, front right corner, right wall, back right corner, and back ceiling, and ceiling over the listening position are all 3" thick and 16"x4', 16"x6', and 16"x8'. The other panels are 6" thick at the back left corner, right wall center, right wall top.

All of the walls are staggered double studded, insulated with an air gap. There is a studio door (2 doors actually due to the double studding) on the right wall to a hallway and another studio double door and studio window on the front wall. The doors on the right are 32" by 77.5" and the front doors are 32" x 80". The doors are made of solid wood. The studio window is 59" x 27.5"

Here is my REW measurements ad cal files. L+R+Sub and all the various combos:

REW File

Here is a 360 photo of the room:
360 room photo

My goal is a even and low RT60 for the room for the room to use for mixing/mastering. If you have any advice, please let me know. I think I've gotten it as good as I can with my acoustics education, but if I'm missing something I'm always willing to learn. I'm also willing to lend my education to anyone on the forum, if asked for. I've been a sound engineer for 20 years and have an associate and bachelor degree in Sound Arts (Plus an MBA, but that's not really relevant unless you need business advice.)
DanDan

Re: Control Room - looking for advice, all rules followed

Post by DanDan »

There is quite a widespread view that minimum treatment would be 4" of fibre absorbent PLUS a 4" airgap between it and the boundary. Bass Trap can be up to, and above, 24" deep. Their effect is greatly amplified in corners.
I find it difficult to 'be there' with these " and ' and numbers. A picture or diagram would be welcome.
The Master Handbook of Acoustics is viewable free on line.
DD
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

This thread seems to be very similar to your original thread:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 77#p151177

it would be better to just continue on over there, rather than have two threads about the same room...

- Stuart -
jgoldkamp

Post by jgoldkamp »

How do I delete this topic?