Building New Home - Designing Personal Studio In Basement

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Gregwor

Re: Building New Home - Designing Personal Studio In Basemen

Post by Gregwor »

I was in the basement and my wife was in the room directly above where my studio will be built. We were able to have a conversation!
Sounds about right! With duct work and holes for things like plumbing to go through, those are your biggest culprits for sound getting through the floor so easily. Right now, I have 99% of my basement ceiling beefed up and blocked (using 1" MDF to cover all the mechanical), but simply because I'm missing 1 wall which would contain it, it sounds equally as loud as when I didn't have any beef up, blocking, or insulation in the joists. I can't stress enough that EVERY tiny little crack has to be sealed air tight and have no voids in terms of surface density.
Does this mean I should seriously consider using drywall if I want to prevent some of that transmission?
It all depends on how much isolation you want. I'm glad you've experienced just how annoying the lack of isolation is. However, as you know, isolation comes with an overwhelming workload and price tag!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Gregor wrote:I can't stress enough that EVERY tiny little crack has to be sealed air tight and have no voids in terms of surface density.
..........It all depends on how much isolation you want.
I have to determine how to go about this. Total isolation isn't critical but I do want more than what I have.
I've been playing guitar for over 40 years.
Small Personal Recording Studio
I compose and record almost everything on my own.
Guitars are recorded direct via Axe-FX III.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

It's certainly not super accurate, but it can help you get a rough idea:

- download a free SPL app for your phone or tablet. Play some music downstairs at the loudest volume you think you will ever be and measure how loud it is down there. Then, run upstairs and measure how loud it is up there. The difference between those two figures is how much isolation you currently have.

Turn down the music until it is a comfortable level upstairs. Measure how loud that is up there. Now, the difference in dB between how loud you have it blasting downstairs and how loud you WANT it upstairs is how much isolation you need.

Post those figures here for us to check out please!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Such a common sense idea..... I love it!

I do have an SPL meter. I’m going to use it and the app just to see how different they are.

I’ll post the results.

Thank you!
I've been playing guitar for over 40 years.
Small Personal Recording Studio
I compose and record almost everything on my own.
Guitars are recorded direct via Axe-FX III.