Would appreciate some advice on my room

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Aetherial

Would appreciate some advice on my room

Post by Aetherial »

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and it seems like this place has a ton of stuff for me to learn!

I'm in the process of treating my bedroom studio and would appreciate some advice!

I'll start off with some info about my room etc.

Length: 18ft 9.5" (537 cm)
Width: 10ft 7.5" (324 cm)
Height: Vaulted Ceiling. 6ft (185 cm) along both short walls, 8ft (245 cm) in the middle.

This building was (And half of it still is) a bit of a storage building in my yard but I built a wall between the side walls about 2/3 from the entrance, to use the 1/3 area as my new room.
Before I moved into here, I had a tiny room of about 1m x 2m x 1.85m or so, which was also my bed room. This new room is also my living room/bed room because I still live with my parents. But of course if it was just a living/bed room, I wouldn't be on this forum. It's my (Electronic music) production/mixing room as well.

The inner walls and ceiling are all made from OSB.
The outside of the building is made from wooden planks, but I'm not certain what type of wood.
There's a layer of glasswool between the walls.
The floor is carpeted.

Monitors: Adam A7X + Adam Sub 8.

What I've done so far:
Cloud above desk, 3ft 3.3" (100 cm) tall. 5ft 11" (180 cm) wide. 8.2" (21 cm) thick.

Panels at first reflection points on side walls, 3ft 3.3" (100 cm) tall (4ft 11"/150 cm including the legs) 2ft (61 cm) wide. 8.2" (21 cm) thick.

Superchunk Basstraps in both front corners, 31" (78 cm) face.

Everything has been made with 45kg/m3 Rockwool.

I also put 2 pieces of rockwool on my desk at the reflection points.
Also, no worries about the rockwool being exposed. It has been covered up in the meantime.

All this info, plus a bunch more, can be found in the drawing I attached to the post. (Don't judge me for using Paint :mrgreen: )

Now for the actual question(s)

If I compare the before and after measurement, there's quite an improvement already I think.
There's also some stuff to fix still, if my limited knowledge is correct.

I think my biggest problems right now are:

Peak between 30-45ish Hz
Dip at 87 Hz
Dip between 650-1.2kHz,
Peak between 1.2-2.4kHz
The whole 7kHz-20kHz area

I will be adding basstraps to the back corners as well this week, which I suppose should help for that peak and dip in the low end (Only 1 corner fully, cause my bed is in the other corner).
Maybe building one or more Helmholtz Resonators for that 34.5hZ peak would be a good idea? (If I'm saying something ridiculous here, please let me know haha. I'm quite new to all this stuff)

Now, since I'm sitting almost exactly 25% into the room, could any of those peaks/dips be caused by that?
I've measured at a bunch of spots today between 25-40% but I surprisingly got the best response right here at my listening/mixing position.
Not that it would've mattered much tbh cause I can't really change my listening position unfortunately.

Is there anything else I should/could try? Or any tips/advice in general?
I've included the .mdat as well, for anyone who'd like check it.

Thanks in advance!

Note: The rest of the photos are in the post below
Aetherial

Re: Would appreciate some advice on my room

Post by Aetherial »

The rest of the photos