Closet Desk Setup

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

winglessfallen

Closet Desk Setup

Post by winglessfallen »

I feel like I may know the answer to this, but I've tried to ask in multiple places and haven't gotten any direct answers, so I'll try here.

I have a home studio that functions as both a recording spot and a visual art studio. It's about 10 x 10 or so. The closet has a built in desk, and the closet is probably 6 x 2 1/2 x 8, if I'm just roughing ideas. I currently have my computer and speakers set up in that. Ultimately, I know it's probably a terrible set up to mix in, but is there a way to set up traps to make it usable? I've noticed when I mix on the speakers, it's hard to pick out frequencies, so obviously the sound is bouncing everywhere, but I just thought I'd see if it was salvageable before moving the desk into the room and taking up what is currently valuable real estate.

thanks!
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Closet Desk Setup

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)

To answer your question, we'd need to see the details of that closet and the rest of the room, but very likely the answer is what you suspect: Its not going to work. Small spaces are terrible for acoustics: the smaller they are, the worse they are, and a closet is about the smallest, worst place you can imagine...

- Stuart -
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Lose the closet. Do you really need a desk? Screens and speaker can be wall mounted. All you need is a tiny surface big enough for Mouse and ASCI Keyboard.
If they are wireless you could even build a little shelf onto a studio/office chair.
Your room will seem a lot bigger without desk and closet.

DD
francisb005

Post by francisb005 »

[SPAMMER BANNED AND BLOCKED - SPAM DELETED]