Electricity supply - which option is best for studio build?

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

sayyousayme

Electricity supply - which option is best for studio build?

Post by sayyousayme »

Hi all

I recently moved house... The house needs a lot of work, including some to the electrics. There is an attached cow shed (which can be accessed through the house) which will become the music room, but also a utility room and shower room. These three rooms are currently served by their own consumer unit, which needs changing...

I seem to remember reading ages ago that the ideal scenario is to have a completely separate feed to the studio, on a separate meter, with a separate account, etc. Can't find much on that now though, so have I remembered incorrectly? If not, what are the advantages and how much of a difference can it make?

If my budget (or significant other) won't let me go that far, what's the next best option? Does it help already that these three rooms are separate from the rest of the house? Would it be better if the shower, washing machine, and fridge/freezers came off a different consumer unit entirely? Or are they ok in the same unit as the studio gear so long as the gear is in its own ring?

I also don't know my MCB, from my RCD from my RCBO, so anything about all that I need to consider when the CU is replaced?

Any other considerations before the electrician comes?

Many thanks
Speedskater

Re: Electricity supply - which option is best for studio bui

Post by Speedskater »

I'm an ocean away so things are different here. But power providers are reluctant to provide a different feed to a single property. But the studio equipment should be on one ring and appliances, lighting and heating on other rings. Note that you can have convenance outlets on the studio ring for use when not recording.
Some decisions should be left up to the electrician and the inspector.
Kevin
sayyousayme

Re: Electricity supply - which option is best for studio bui

Post by sayyousayme »

I think they'd be willing to do it, but equally willing to charge an arm and a leg, both it which I need :)

Anyhow, from the sounds of it then it doesn't seem it would be necessary. As long as the studio gear is on its own ring I'm good to go.

Any problems with the shower being on the same consumer unit? If it's a split unit, should the shower go on the other side?

Anything else I need to consider?

Cheers