Hybrid Studio - ground up including Monitors and furniture

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Frans Wessels

Hybrid Studio - ground up including Monitors and furniture

Post by Frans Wessels »

Greetings,

Although not a new member, I've been looking and reading on & off for years, finally made the decision 8) ;

I'm gonna build me my own studio, well that is, a mixing and mastering facility. It will be inside my stone shed, more of which later. Started seriously with that idea in 1998, its about time I guess. I've been reading quit a lot, which gave me shure knowledge; " I don't know much, DO I ....??" :oops:

Yes you read it correctly, it will be a hybrid setting, for which i'll do on my own;

- Design and build 1 great sounding room, with all required acoustical measures
- All electricity and HVAC
- My own set of studio monitors (Main monitors) AND a restoration of a set of Tannoy's SRM12X
- The furniture for a 56 channel analog studio desk
- The furniture for my 2 Macs and all outboard gear

I have the intention to show info on ALL topics, including the design and building of the Main monitors. Should you want to use any of the ideas posted here, you're welcome.

The idea is to mix multitracks, of which I currently have some 1750 in all shapes and sizes (from 4 stereo stems to 120 tracks recordings) and do some mastering. I do NOT intend to do much recording, except for my self playing some overdubs.

For those who want to share and guide me in the process, feel free and VERY welcome.

kind regards,

Frans Wessels
Frans Wessels

WAE Wessels Audio Engineering
Aalten
The Netherlands
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Hybrid Studio - ground up including Monitors and furnitu

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi there Frans, and Welcome! :)

That sounds like an interesting project, and it sounds like a fairly large room if you plan to have a 56 channel analog console in there. I'm looking forwar do seeing the design, and some photos!

What exactly do you mean by "hybrid" studio? Is that just in reference to building your own speakers? Or is it a reference to you wanting to use the entire studio for several purposes, such as mixing and also a home theater?

Also, what is the basic design concept that you'll be following for the studio? Will this be an RFZ design?

Sounds great!

- Stuart -
Frans Wessels

Post by Frans Wessels »

Soundman2020 wrote:Hi there Frans, and Welcome! :)
Thanks Stuart, a warm welcome from the master himself is always appreciated.
Soundman2020 wrote: That sounds like an interesting project, and it sounds like a fairly large room if you plan to have a 56 channel analog console in there. I'm looking forwar do seeing the design, and some photos!
The console with furniture is estimated to be 200 cm wide and 95 cm deep, which is not really big compared to a Neve or SSL. My room is limited by the space I have in my shed. It will be around 440 x 330 cm and 250 cm high, which also gave a nice spread of room modes. The exact space is to be decided.
Soundman2020 wrote: What exactly do you mean by "hybrid" studio? Is that just in reference to building your own speakers? Or is it a reference to you wanting to use the entire studio for several purposes, such as mixing and also a home theater?
Well actually neither of those. In the beginning, analog consoles were used combined with tape desks. Later the tapes desks were replaced by digital hard disk recorders. Then with the upcoming of the computer, software was developed which we now call DAW software (Digital Audio Workstation). The computer became the hard disk recorder as well. The analog mixing by itself was extended by computers for audio editing. The computer had a great advantage for editing and later on also mixing using the GUI (Graphical User Interface). The sound however of the analog desk is still very much appreciated.

Now a days a lot of people use only a computer to do the recording / editing / mixing and mastering. This is referred to as "In the box". The HYBRID setup is the combination of the old analog desk for it's sound and ease of mixing, combined with a computer for recording and editing. The two are connected by Ad / DA convertors.
I own 2 MAc's, a Mackie 8-bus 32 channel mixer extended with a 24 channel extension unit. MOTU 24 I/O's (3x) are the used convertors with loads of cable. A more simple version is a computer with some 19-inch equipment, such as compressors, noise gates, eq's and (mike) pre-amps from the 70's to get that "old school feel".
I will be using the analog desk with the computer.

The idea is to use the computer with the DAW (Studio One) to run the tracks, while assigning each track in the Daw to a separate channel of the console (until I run out of physical channels). I use a fixed setup (template), so I know my way around the console almost by hard. A number of channels will be used for tricks like parallel compression and reverbs / delays. The DAW is gain staged and faders will be set to 0dB, if required tracks will be automated (gain mostly). The mixing will be done on the console, I just hate fiddling around with a mouse over 50 tracks. Knobs and faders is what I like ( being an old guy gown up in the 60's).

More about this in detail later, hope you get what I intend to do here. p.s. Warren Huart and the likes have YouTube videos on the Hybrid topic and mixing in the box.
Soundman2020 wrote: Also, what is the basic design concept that you'll be following for the studio? Will this be an RFZ design?
I'm not shure yet, it will be ONE space with the loudspeakers firing in the length of the room most likely. Remember I don't want to do recording, just mixing.
Soundman2020 wrote: Sounds great!
:D MUST BE....!

kind regards,

Frans.
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Frans Wessels

Post by Frans Wessels »

I made a schema of the Hybrid setup that I am using. Just an overview that is..

kind regards, Frans
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Frans Wessels

Post by Frans Wessels »

Room modes and SPL ?!

I found a calculator on the internet that shows the room modes for a given size of room. Anyone used this calculator and do you find the outcome to be realistic?

This is what appears to be the room modes for my room, as by the size that fits in the shed. The sides relations (correct word?) are 1.96 : 1.44 : 1. (L : W : H).

Working on a first drawing for the room itself.

On STC of the walls, I have a max SPL forecast inside the controlroom of about 105 - 110 dB with my new Main monitors at full blast. I know, that is loud, but I guess I need to figure out how much the walls and treatment need to take of that SPL to have the environment of my studio in peace / quiet enough. That would mean the walls need to take of about 50 - 55 dB, right ???

kind regards, Frans
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Frans Wessels

Post by Frans Wessels »

The Controlroom layout !

See attached the first version of the controlroom / mastering room.

Dimensions as per the previous post (440 x 330 x 255).

The Soffit mounted speakers are the Tannoy SRM12X, which will be my "standard" speakers. I would like to add a second Soffit space next to the Tannoys where I could test my own versions of the Main Monitors of which there will be 3 versions designed.

This area is also intended as a demo room. I make a living with ICT consultancy, but have a one man "company", which actually is a hobby that went a bit out of control. Most of the cost are covered by selling some loudspeakers now and then. Because of the rules on this forum, that's all I would like to post on that topic. The room will also be my test environment.

kind regards, Frans
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Frans Wessels

Post by Frans Wessels »

OK, more on details for the room;

I updated the overview picture of the room in the shed. The shed is "single brick" with a plywood ceiling and roof tiles.

To make the total situation clear, I drew the shed in total with the controlroom to be build inside. Don't have more space, since the shed also houses a working bench and other goods that need to be inside. The shed is standing 10 meters from our house and about 40 meters from our neighbours house.

Next version of the drawing will be just the controlroom.

Oooh.. By the way, I tried sketchup, a complete nightmare for me. If seen people make the most impressive things with it, so it's me that has a problem. :( Took me hours to get a 3D room and once I was kind of happy with it and wanted to add inside walls, the whole shabeng transformed into a big mess. Walls inside each other, holes in a wall. Really artistic to see, but NOT what I need. :oops: So, back to Powerpoint to do the simple 2D version. I don't have much issues with looking at 2D and thinking 3D. :mrgreen:

kind regards, Frans
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Frans Wessels

Walls and best STC

Post by Frans Wessels »

Now I know basically how my controlroom is going to be, it's time to think of walls. I've seen various constructions for walls and since I am building a room that should let out & in as less noise as possible, I want to have the "best" construction which is fairly easy to build and affordable. I'm on a VERY tight budget.

It's all about STC, and to be perfectly shure I understand what that is all about, did some reading;

"Sound Transmission Class (or STC) is an integer rating of how well a building partition attenuates airborne sound."

It is believed that around 50 dB is kind of the bare minimal SPL where people start hearing sound. As stated earlier, INSIDE my controlroom I will have max SPL levels of around 105 to 110 dB for a short amount of time. It is nor really good practice nor good for my ears to work at these levels, but I need to start with the MAX SPL to be shure the outside world is not disturbed.

Leading to: 110 - STC = 50 dB , STC = 60+

The following construction is expected to be capable of STC 63.

QUESTION. In the left version I added 1 layer of OSB, the advantage is to be able to put screws ANYWHERE in the OSB, not just in steel beams.
IS that a valid and correct approach?

kind regards, Frans
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Frans Wessels

Helmholtz resonator

Post by Frans Wessels »

As in one of the previous posts, I did a first room mode analysis (well the software did).

This showed a set of frequencies most likely to be treated.

I understand that this can be done by a Helmholtz resonator, a construction of slats with some space in-between, mounted on a frame with a layer of rock wool directly behind the slats and an air cavity behind the rock wool. By changing the slat width, the width of the space between the slats, the thickness of the slats and a deepness of the air cavity, you can tune the Helmholtz resonator to the wanted frequency. By applying a number of variations of these parameters, you end up with a broadband absorber.

I used an excell sheet to calculate 3 different versions, each with the same varying depth of 100mm to 300mm. This results in 3 absorption frequency ranges, which are (slightly overlapping) adding up to an absorber that should work from 108 Hz to 523 Hz (give or take in practice most likely).

Below that, I'll use 4 corner placed bass traps (hangers).

See below for details. Is used "standard" wood sizes and just one slat thickness of 18 mm. The picture also shows the principle construction. "Depth from wall" varies from 100 mm to 300 mm. The calculation shown here is for the slimmest 45mm slat at 100 mm distance from the wall against which the Helmholtz resonator is placed.

They can be seen in post 8 labeled as "Slot resonators" in light yellow at each long side of the controlroom.

kind regards, Frans
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

It's all about STC, and to be perfectly shure I understand what that is all about, did some reading;

"Sound Transmission Class (or STC) is an integer rating of how well a building partition attenuates airborne sound."
Not really, to be honest! That's a common mistake with first-time studio builders, because there's an awful lot of not-entirely-honest sellers of "acoustic" materials, and they love to quote STC numbers for their products, because it makes their products seem amazing... when in reality, they are not all that amazing at all...

Forget STC. STC is no use for telling you how well your studio will be isolated. STC was never meant to measure such things. Here's an excerpt from the actual ASTM test procedure (E413) that explains the use of STC.

“These single-number ratings correlate in a general way with subjective impressions of sound transmission for speech, radio, television and similar sources of noise in offices and buildings. This classification method is not appropriate for sound sources with spectra significantly different from those sources listed above. Such sources include machinery, industrial processes, bowling alleys, power transformers, musical instruments, many music systems and transportation noises such as motor vehicles, aircraft and trains. For these sources, accurate assessment of sound transmission requires a detailed analysis in frequency bands.”

It's a common misconception that you can use STC ratings to decide if a particular wall, window, door, or building material will be of any use in a studio. As you can see above, in the statement from the people who designed the STC rating system and the method for calculating it, STC is simply not applicable.

Here's how it works:

To determine the STC rating for a wall, door, window, or whatever, you start by measuring the actual transmission loss at 16 specific frequency bands between 125 Hz and 4kHz. You do not measure anything above or below that range, and you do not measure anything in between those 16 points. Just those 16 small bands, and nothing else. Then you plot those 16 points on a graph, and do some fudging and nudging with the numbers and the curve, until it fits in below one of the standard STC curves. Then you read off the number of that specific curve, and that number is your STC rating. That's it. There is no true relationship to real-world decibels: it is just the index number of the reference curve that is closest to your curve. To clarify: the STC number is NOT how much isolation you will get: it is just the number that somebody once assigned to a curve on a graph. So for the STC-70 curve, they could have called it "STC-GGFQRT" or "STC-Delta-RED" or "STC-Elephant-seven" or anything else, and it would tell you just as much about isolation as "STC-70" does: ie, nothing. It's a REFERENCE number, not an actual isolation number. For speech conditions, yes, STC-70 might actually be close to 70 dB of isolation, but not for music.

When you measure the isolation of a studio wall, you want to be sure that it is isolating ALL frequencies, across the entire spectrum from 20 Hz up to 20,000 Hz, not just 16 specific points that somebody chose 50 years ago, because he thought they were a good representation of human speech. STC does not take into account the bottom two and a half octaves of the musical spectrum (nothing below 125Hz), nor does it take into account the top two and a quarter octaves (nothing above 4k). Of the ten octaves that our hearing range covers, STC ignores five of them (or nearly five). So STC tells you nothing useful about how well a wall, door or window will work in a studio. The ONLY way to determine that, is by look at the Transmission Loss curve for it, or by estimating with a sound level meter set to "C" weighting (or even "Z"), and slow response, then measuring the levels on each side. That will give you a true indication of the number of decibels that the wall/door/window is blocking, across the full audible range.

Consider this: It is quite possible to have a door rated at STC-30 that does not provide even 20 decibels of actual isolation, and I can build you a wall rated at STC-20 that provides much better than 30 dB of isolation. There simply is no direct relationship between STC rating and the ability of a barrier to stop full-spectrum sound, such as music. STC was never designed for that, and cannot be used for that. It was meant for describing isolation of speech, not music. It's reasonably useful for what it was designed for, but not very useful for music.

Then there's the issue of installation. You can buy a door that really does provide 40 dB of isolation, but unless you install it correctly, it will not provide that level! If you install it in a wall that provides only 20 dB, then the total isolation of that "wall+door" combination is about 20 dB: isolation is only as good as the worst part. Even if you put a door rated at 90 dB in that wall, it would STILL only give you 20 dB. The total is only as good as the weakest part of the system.

So forget STC as a useful indicator, and just use the actual TL graphs to judge if a wall, door, window, floor, roof, or whatever will meet your needs.

This implies that the very first thing you need to do, is to define how much isolation you need. If you don't know that, then you can't design your isolation system to provide it! So you need to get out your sound level meter, and do some testing with it set to "C" and "slow", to answer tow questions: "How loud are you?" (measure the level in a typical worst-case session), and "How quiet do I need to be?" (check your local noise regulations to find out the legal limits, and also do practical tests in and around the building, to find out what the ambient noise levels are at the quietest times of day). Subtract the second number from the first number: that's how much isolation you need.
It is believed that around 50 dB is kind of the bare minimal SPL where people start hearing sound.
"50 dB" on which scale? A-weighted? C-weighted? Flat? Something else? There's a big difference between 50 dBC and 50 dBA. But in reality, 50 dB is rather loud on all of those scales. That's about the level of a quiet conversation between two people. 35 dBA is what most people would consider "very quiet" or even "inaudible" for most circumstances, and 25 dBA would be very silent for most people. But the actual point where people start hearing sound is 0 dB, which is an air pressure variation of 20 micro-pascals (0.0002 pascals) in standard air pressure of 100,000 pascals. Because that's the technical definition of the threshold of human hearing, and therefore it is the 0 dB reference point for measuring sound levels.
As stated earlier, INSIDE my controlroom I will have max SPL levels of around 105 to 110 dB for a short amount of time.
Just to clarify: this is PURELY a mixing room, right? No tracking of live instruments at all? You will only ever be producing loud sounds through your speakers, never through actual acoustic sources?
Leading to: 110 - STC = 50 dB , STC = 60+
Wrong! :) You cannot subtract decibels from STC numbers. That's like deciding that to cook an egg you need: "one pint of water less 23 degrees Fahrenheit, plus 600 lux from the kitchen lights"! You can't add numbers that are not in the same units, or on the same scale. STC does not measure decibels. STC does not measure loudness. And you are also using incorrect assumptions.

Let's say your max sound level when you really turn up your speakers to "check the bass", is 115 dBC (VERY loud), and that you want to get a level no higher than 35 dB at your property line, because that's the level set by your local authorities, and your property line is 30 feet from your studio wall.... That would work out like this:

35 dBC at 30 feet, using the "inverse square law", implies 41 dB at 15 feet, 47 dB at 7 feet, 53 dB at 3.5 feet, which is close enough to the standard measuring distance. So 53 dBC outside your wall, and 115 dBC inside. Thus, you need 62 dB of isolation.

On the other hand, if your property line is only 6 feet away from the wall, then we have this:
35 dBC at 6 feet, using the "inverse square law", implies 41 dB at 3 feet, which is the standard measuring distance. So 41 dBC outside your wall, and 115 dBC inside. Thus, you need 74 dB of isolation.

You can't cut corners here, and you do need to use the correct units and the correct assumptions. As you can see, just for a small change in the distance to your property line (5 feet to 30 feet) there's an entire order of magnitude difference in isolation: isolating to 74 dB is ten time harder than isolating to 62 dB: that's ten times higher sound intensity... A lot more mass, much larger air gaps.... and a lot more money. It's very important to define your isolation needs correctly, and plan accordingly. If not, you will either end up "overbuilding" and wasting a LOT of time, money, materials and effort that wasn't necessary, or you will end up "under-building", and have a studio that doesn't isolate well enough for your needs.
QUESTION. In the left version I added 1 layer of OSB, the advantage is to be able to put screws ANYWHERE in the OSB, not just in steel beams. IS that a valid and correct approach?
Yes it is, and that's what I do with pretty much all my designs these days, but you do have to re-calculate the isolation of that wall, because you have changed the properties. You can do many things to a wall to make it the way you want it, but each time you change something, you need to re-calculate to check that is is still isolating at the frequency range you want, and is still providing the total isolation that you need.

- Stuart -
Frans Wessels

Post by Frans Wessels »

Hello Stuart,

Thank you very much for the comprehensive explanation. Looks like I’ve been reading much that isn’t really what it should be. It also gave me a good push in the direction “facts not assumptions”, I need to do it right all the way.

On STC, makes me look a bit foolish (to say the least). :oops: I DID read about the way they measure it and NEVER thought of the point you made me aware off. I guess I need to do some proper reading instead of trusting supplier articles. It’s like the more people sing a song the same way, the more we are expecting that this IS the way you sing this song.

On required isolation, the example you worked out is very helpful. 115 dBC is insanely loud inside a room, isn’t it?
Soundman2020 wrote: Just to clarify: this is PURELY a mixing room, right? No tracking of live instruments at all? You will only ever be producing loud sounds through your speakers, never through actual acoustic sources?
That is correct, just mixing / mastering. Normally I will never mix at high levels anyway, but there WILL be 2 exceptions

1 - I need to know how the mix works if played loud. So, WHAT is my definition of loud (dB C-weighted).
2 - If I ever need to demo my own speakers, where the question would be “How loud is “the customers loud”.
Soundman2020 wrote: So forget STC as a useful indicator, and just use the actual TL graphs to judge if a wall, door, window, floor, roof, or whatever will meet your needs.
What can be considered a trustful source for the TL graphs?

Now having said that, I made up this plan of attack;

1 - Buy a sound level meter (I do have REW on my Mac but a handmeter may be more useful to run around with).
2 - Draw up a map of my shed and it’s environment.
3 - Do measuring outside (how loud is my environment). There is a road next to our house.
4 - Measure how loud that same environment is, when I measure INSIDE the shed as it is now (outside - in). That way I know the transmission loss of the actual building in its CURRENT state.
5 - Measure the level I use when mixing. This would be the “normal” level that will be produced INSIDE the room.
6 - Define my MAX level produced by the loudspeakers. Like in your example 115 dBC.
7 - Go to the town hall and ask for data on noise level and regulations. Although having said that, I’d better also talk to my wife and the 1 neighbour we have first… :lol:
8 - Figure out both situations: What is acceptable for the level I produce (inside - out) and what is acceptable for me to here on "outside noise" inside the studio (outside - in).

On the OSB topic, than that’s what I will use for the inside walls. 8)

QUESTION: IS there a rule of thumb way to calculate the estimated reduction for the combination of the 2 walls I drew up. Must be complicated, but still, I feel currently like being in a catch 22. :? I need to know how the walls have to be to match the sound level reduction I came up with in my measurements, BUT I need to build them first and measure their effect. Once having it build, it could go 3 ways;
“Underbuild” - Do it all over again (IF I would know where did it go wrong)
“Correct” - PARTY !!
“Overbuild” - Waist of time and money, but still OK

Surely that can’t be the case.

QUESTION: Would you agree that the “1 layer of 12mm OSB AND 2 layers of 12mm Gypsum included with rock wool” is a fair starting point for my situation. OFCOURSE I need to expect an additional effort in acoustic treatment inside the room once the basic room has finished.

kind regards, Frans
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Looks like I’ve been reading much that isn’t really what it should be. ... On STC, makes me look a bit foolish (to say the least)
Don't feel bad about that at all! There sure is a LOT of such incorrect "reading material" on the internet... and much of it is in the marketing hype for people wanting to sell you stuff! There are way too many snake-oil vendors, and half-honest vendors of acoustic products. Or even well-meaning but ignorant ones... There's only a few "good guy" manufacturers who are honest and really do know their stuff. There's so much bad stuff out there, that it's actually not so easy to find good, solid, valid information to guide you. But you found the forum, so you are fine now! :)
115 dBC is insanely loud inside a room, isn’t it?
Oh yeah. Insanely loud. In fact, if that was the normal level in your workplace, the legal maximum exposure you would be allowed is about 15 minutes per day. More than that, and you'd run the risk of suffering permanent hearing damage. OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health administration ) sets those levels for workplaces, based on years of research, but even then some people say that the exposure is still too high, and and it should be no more than 5 minutes per day at 115 dB.

Mix engineers do not listen that loud. If they do, it's because they are already totally deaf! (Or soon will be...)

Standard calibration level for movie houses and control rooms, is 86 dBC at the listening position(s) with all speakers firing. That's the level we use to set up the system, and tune it. That's also about as loud as some mix engineers listen normally, but most use lower levels, because they still want to be mix engineers for a few more years, and it's hard to mix well if you are deaf! OSHA says that you can listen to 85 dB sound levels for 8 hours a day before you suffer permanent hearing loss... so that's already risky for mix engineers. 75 to 80 dBC is more reasonable.
1 - I need to know how the mix works if played loud. So, WHAT is my definition of loud (dB C-weighted).
As above: OSHA says 85 dB for 8 hours every day is the legal limit for a workplace, without hearing protection. Others say even that is too high, and suggest 75 or 80.

Now, having said that, there certainly is a need to push the levels every now and then to "check the mix", or "check the bass", as mix engineers euphemistically call it, and that's OK, as long as it is just a few brief periods each day, and probably not more than about 100 dB or so, even then. There's also the occasional need to knock the socks off a client, and impress the hell out of him by blowing him out of his chair with a pure sound explosion... but do keep those to a minimum! Short bursts, very infrequently (a couple of times per week, max). If you have to do it more often, wear hearing protection.
2 - If I ever need to demo my own speakers, where the question would be “How loud is “the customers loud”.
Depends on the customer! If he's a DJ in a club, then 100 is probably too quiet for him :roll: :shock: You'd probably want to push it to 110 or so to keep him happy. But if it is a folk singer with an acoustic guitar, he's probably be happier hearing it "pushed" to 80 or so...

As with so many things in recording, there's the science that shows the objective reality, and then there's the subjective preferences that say "screw the scientists! I'll listen any way I want! (Even though I'll be deaf by the time I'm 40...)

Interestingly enough, in a study of classical musicians a few years back, it was found that symphony orchestra violinists almost all suffer from partial hearing loss in their left ears... Take a look at how close a violinists ear is to the strings and sound holes...
What can be considered a trustful source for the TL graphs?
If it is published by an independent acoustic research lab, then you are safe. Riverbank is one of the biggest and best known, but there are many others. Universities often publish reliable data too. All of them usually do add STC numbers to the graphs as well, which is unfortunate, but I think they do that to keep the vendors honest... :)
1 - Buy a sound level meter (I do have REW on my Mac but a handmeter may be more useful to run around with).
Are you using a pre-calibrated USB mic on your Mac? If not, then you still need a hand-held sound level meter to calibrate REW, so it knows how loud the sound really is in the room. If you don't tell it, then it has no way of knowing. You might find this article I wrote a while back, useful: http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =3&t=21122 .
2 - Draw up a map of my shed and it’s environment.
Yup! Consider doing that in SkethUp, but don't use the on-line free version: it's a joke. Use the real version, called "SketchUp Make 2017". It's a full 3D modelling package that is fairly easy to use. I use it with all of my clients, to design their studios.
3 - Do measuring outside (how loud is my environment). There is a road next to our house.
Measure outside, and inside, at various times of day, and make careful notes of everything. Levels, time of day, where you measured, what else was going on around you, etc.
4 - Measure how loud that same environment is, when I measure INSIDE the shed as it is now (outside - in). That way I know the transmission loss of the actual building in its CURRENT state.
Right. Set up a full-spectrum sound system inside the location, play some bass-heavy contemporary music on it, loud (maybe 100 dBC measured three feet away), leave it looping the same song over and over, and measure everywhere you can think of in and around your property.

Oh, and wear hearing protection any time you are doing loud stuff like this: assuming you still want to be mixing music ten years from now! :)
5 - Measure the level I use when mixing. This would be the “normal” level that will be produced INSIDE the room.
If you do that and find that you normally mix higher than 80 dBC, consider retraining yourself to mix at a lower level... assuming you still want to be mixing music ten years from now!
6 - Define my MAX level produced by the loudspeakers. Like in your example 115 dBC.
Right, but my example was based on your comments, and it was meant to be scary! 115 dBC is LOUD! Very!
7 - Go to the town hall and ask for data on noise level and regulations. Although having said that, I’d better also talk to my wife and the 1 neighbour we have first…
Yup! You can probably find the noise regulations on the web site of your local municipality. Might save you a trip to the town hall.
8 - Figure out both situations: What is acceptable for the level I produce (inside - out) and what is acceptable for me to here on "outside noise" inside the studio (outside - in).
Yep. And also measure the levels inside, for typical exterior noises that could annoy you in your mixing sessions, such as wind, rain, traffic, aircraft, sirens, lawnmowers, ...
QUESTION: IS there a rule of thumb way to calculate the estimated reduction for the combination of the 2 walls I drew up. Must be complicated, but still, I feel currently like being in a catch 22.
Well, better than that, there's a set of equations for doing that!

I wrote this a while ago, so I'll just cut-and -paste:

------
The equations for calculating total isolation of a two-leaf wall are simple:

First, for a single-leaf barrier you need the Mass Law equation:

TL = 14.5 log (M * 0.205) + 23 dB

Where: M = Surface density in kg/m2

For a two-leaf wall, you need to calculate the above for EACH leaf separately (call the results "R1" and "R2").

Then you need to know the resonant frequency of the system, using the MSM resonance equation:

f0 = C [ (m1 + m2) / (m1 x m2 x d)]^0.5

Where:
C=constant (60 if the cavity is empty, 43 if you fill it with suitable insulation)
m1=mass of first leaf (kg/m^2)
m2 mass of second leaf (kg/m^2)
d=depth of cavity (m)

Then you use the following three equations to determine the isolation that your wall will provide for each of the three frequency ranges:

R = 20log(f * (m1 + m2) ) - 47 ...[for the region where f < f0]
R = (R1 + R2)/2 + 20log(f * d) - 29 ...[for the region where f0 < f < f1]
R = R1 + R2 + 6 ...[for the region where f > f1]

Where:
m1 and m2 are the surface densities of leaf 1 and leaf 2, respectively
f0 is the resonant frequency from the MSM resonant equation,
f1 is 55/d Hz
R1 and R2 are the transmission loss numbers you calculated first, using the mass law equation

And that's it! Nothing complex. Any high school student can do that. It's just simple addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, square roots, and logarithms.
----

In fact, one of the forum members, Greg, has written a spreadsheet to help you figure that out. I can't find the link right now, but I'll try to post it later.

The above works because of resonance. A wall is a resonant system, and you "tune" it by adjusting the mass on each leaf, and the size of the air gap between them, and the amount/type of insulation in that air gap.
Surely that can’t be the case.
Right! There are numerous studies out there, done by many acoustic test labs, on numerous different wall types, with published results. The best one I know of is IR-761, published by the Canadian National Research Council. It used to be here: http://nparc.cisti-icist.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca ... 064b073e7f but seems to have moved... or maybe their website was down when I tried. Google it. They tested hundreds of different wall types in their labs, and published the TL curves and the details for every single one, along with a description of their testing procedure. Very informative! But do take one thing into account: you won't actually get as mush isolation as they did, because they built every single wall very carefully, under highly controlled conditions, in an extremely well isolated test facility. When you build, it will be in the real-world, with ordinary materials and limitations. So allow that your results will be lower than what they got. Probably by about 5 dB or so.
QUESTION: Would you agree that the “1 layer of 12mm OSB AND 2 layers of 12mm Gypsum included with rock wool” is a fair starting point for my situation
That depends on how you build the OTHER leaf! A wall is a resonant system, with two leaves: they work together to provide the isolation. It's not just the sum of the two sides, either. You can't measure leaf A that got 29 dB ad leaf B that got 31, then assume together they will give you A+B=60. Not true. Resonance comes into play, in several different forms... So you need to consider the entire system as a system, not just as a bunch of individual parts.
OFCOURSE I need to expect an additional effort in acoustic treatment inside the room once the basic room has finished.
Oh yeah! Isolating the room is just a small part of the overall design! You then have to design the interior acoustic response so that it meets the ITU BS.1116-3 spec! (Google it: chapters 7 and 8 apply to you...) That's the acoustic response that a control room MUST have, to be usable for critical listening. Here's an example of such a room: thread about Studio Three Productions' studio Finished a few years ago, and currently in operation. Here's one that is under construction right now, nearing completion: thread about Steve's high-end control room in New Orleans That one will also meet the spec. It's not easy to achieve that, and most home studios are too small to be able to hit it completely (laws of physics), but the goal is to get as close as you possibly can.

- Stuart -
Frans Wessels

Post by Frans Wessels »

FANTASTIC! :D
Frans Wessels

Aalten
The Netherlands
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

In fact, one of the forum members, Greg, has written a spreadsheet to help you figure that out. I can't find the link right now, but I'll try to post it later.
Here it is!

Gregwor & audiomutt’s MSM Transmission Loss Calculator Version 2.03

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.