How to get cables from one room to another

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

memocn59

How to get cables from one room to another

Post by memocn59 »

Hi! maybe this is a silly question :oops:

In the past I used to have a wall dividing CR from LR and I have someone to drill a 2" hole in the wall near the corner of the room. I would use this hole to pass cables through but now my question is...

How the pros do this... how do they pass cables from one side to another? I mean... do they drill the wall?

If you could point to a resource to learn more about this I would be really thankful =)

I think a wall plate is used but how to soundproof that hole? :oops:
Music is my passion and I hope someday make a living with the music I create. Wanna hear? Search for Lena & Tiago on youtube
Gregwor

Re: How to get cables from one room to another

Post by Gregwor »

How the pros do this... how do they pass cables from one side to another?
They would either have:

1. A fully decoupled wall system in which they would pass the cabling via a conduit. This conduit would be shaped like an S with a flexible connection in the middle. This would allow the penetrations through each leaf to be in different areas from one another and prevent flanking. Stuffing the ends with insulation and even caulking the ends of the conduit are good ways to increase the isolation. This would be troublesome to remove if new cabling was to be pulled.

2. Conduit run through concrete from room to room.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: How to get cables from one room to another

Post by Soundman2020 »

Like this:
Conduit-isolation-0-SML-ENH.png
Conduit-isolation-1b-SML-ENH.png
Conduit with a gap, wrapped with soft rubber or canvas. Bend the two parts in gentle curves, so the ends are offset by at least one stud bay. Caulk well at the wall penetrations.

- Stuart -