Acoustiblok Volumetric Mass Density

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

famadorian

Acoustiblok Volumetric Mass Density

Post by famadorian »

What is the volumetric mass density of Acoustiblok?

I can only find it's area density.

It should be defined as kg/m³.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Acoustiblok Volumetric Mass Density

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi. Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)
I can only find it's area density.
If you know the surface density, and how thick it is, then you can calculate the volumetric density...

- Stuart -
famadorian

Post by famadorian »

The official reply from Acoustiblok is:

The Acoustiblok Blok 16 is 5.5 kilograms per square meter. A small roll of material that is. 54” x 8” x8” with a length of 30 feet unrolled has a density of 33.79 kilo/2.109 cubic meter.

This doesn't make sense to me;)
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Do the math to figure out the density of your piece using the information they provided on their website:

"Acoustiblok is a U.L. Classified (UL # CLBV.R21490), viscoelastic polymer that comes in two forms. The first is Blok16, a 1/8th” thick sheet with a weight of 1 pound per square foot. The second is Blok32, a 1/4″ thick sheet with a weight of 2 pounds per square foot."

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

famadorian wrote:The official reply from Acoustiblok is:

The Acoustiblok Blok 16 is 5.5 kilograms per square meter. A small roll of material that is. 54” x 8” x8” with a length of 30 feet unrolled has a density of 33.79 kilo/2.109 cubic meter.

This doesn't make sense to me;)
I have to agree with that! Not much sense at all.

Fortunately, Greg gave you the info you need.

That stuff is basically just MLV, so you probably don't need it in any case. There's not many places in home studio construction where MLV is justified. What were you thinking about using it for?

- Stuart -