Problematic room needs taming. Advice needed!

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Gregwor

Re: Problematic room needs taming. Advice needed!

Post by Gregwor »

I think it looks great so far!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
The Sound Guy

Post by The Sound Guy »

Hi Gregwor (and others).

Thanks! I will post some pictures of what it looks like in real life later.

I'm thinking about a cloud. I need one, as far as I can tell, in order to treat more first-reflection points (ceiling) and in order to help improve the bass. But how do I go about designing that thing? How will I know if it needs a rigid back or not? How wide and deep should it be? What angle? I can't get my head around it and so far I haven't been able to find answers.

Also: on another forum someone told me explicitly that my monitors (Adam S2X) are not worth building a system around (think adding subwoofers, etc), because he believes they are inherently poorly designed. High-Q ports, high distortion, etc. I only know that, apart from a somewhat "oversized" low end and some excessive port wind (though no audible chuffing) at moderate volumes, I really like what I'm hearing. I think that adding a sealed sub or two should make for a really nice system. Of course, this should only be done if the room is up to it. And they sould be integrated really well. Not an easy task, but well worth the effort if done succesfully. I should perhaps tell you that I reinstated my Adam Sub10 mkII in order to relieve the low end from the mains, effectively reducing port wind. The frequency response hasn't changed dramatically (by ear), but since I can clearly hear where the sub is located, I think it's not nearly as good as Adam wants us to believe. It's noisy and not very well defined, sound wise. I'll probably sell it. But I digress.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Does he have a point? Are some monitor speakers in this category created "more equal than others"? Would it be wise to look for something else / better before expaning my system with subs?

I mean: If it sounds good, it IS good. Unless the speaker is lying to me. Is it?
titodlacruz

Post by titodlacruz »

Hi everyone!!

This is a fantastic post for me as I have a room very similar. I learning so much with it.
I eager to see the real life photos of it!

Great work everyone!
The Sound Guy

Post by The Sound Guy »

Hi guys,

still thinking about the cloud in my room.
Can anyone please help me on the way? What things should I concider? Or is it just as simple as stuffing as much absorbent material to the ceiling as I can fit? :?: