House built around studio design/build thread

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

richroyc

Re: House built around studio design/build thread

Post by richroyc »

Hey Gregwor,

I had one question regarding the cleats you used in your beef up.

It looks like you have engineered I-Beams there where the web is OSB and the flanges are 2x3's

It looks like you cut the top flange (2x3) to get the cleat in. It seems okay since your sort of filling back in the gap with the cleat, but just wondering if that may be an issue?

I'm pretty sure with metal i-beams, cutting a hole or notch into the web is okay, but cutting the flange is a no-no.
richroyc

Post by richroyc »

OHHHH!! nevermind! - you notched the cleats! woops!
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

And update, but not studio related.

So after my doctor told me that he was out of ideas for what could be causing my wrist pain, I visited a physiotherapist. It was an hour long visit and he found the problem!!! The capitate bone in my wrist was dislocated. Somewhat strange how the xrays and ultrasounds I had didn't expose the issue but I suppose when I was getting those tests done, my hand was flat on the table which would have hidden the issue. Anyway, he used high velocity/low impact to push the bone back down into position and for the first time in so long, I feel no pain. I have it all bandaged up to both hold the bone down in place and to also limit my wrist movement as large movements could encourage the bone to fall out of place again. In a few days I go visit him again to learn exercises that will strengthen everything around the bone. This will ultimately keep the bone in place.

I can't express how happy I am. It has been very very depressing. Also, I'm renovating my wife's hair salon and plan to start my floor prep/epoxy sooner than later.

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

That's good news Greg.
cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

So I'm waiting to hear back from one of the engineers at the place I'm getting my air handler unit from. They build them right here in Edmonton and I had about a 2 hour meeting with the guy last week. It looks like everything should be alright -- fingers crossed. The air handler alone (cooling module, heat pump and fan coil) looks like it's going to cost around $6000-$7000 :cry:

I've also been stressing out about what I want to do about flooring. I've decided to go for a salt and pepper polished concrete look. I realize that it could look like crap because some rocks are going to have sunk deeper than others but I'm okay with it. I did a bunch of research and I think I'm better off just hiring someone to do it (plus, look how long it takes me to get stuff done on my place). So I called around to every single place I could find and so far it looks like only 1 guy can/will do it. Since I don't have a walk out basement, most guys can't get their big 1000+ pound machines down there to do the job. The guy I found has a 600 pound machine that he can split in two to get down my stairs. That extra work plus the fact that it will take longer due to it being a lighter machine means more money. So far he is estimating around $8500. Brutal. But, I think it's the best flooring for what I want.

So to prep for this flooring job my brother and I brain stormed and came up with a safe :| way to get my LVL joists out of the way. Using 100% scrap wood we quickly assembled some stands to get the LVL off of the floor. I plan to rip it all down as soon as the flooring is done. Please don't judge the workmanship. It's ghetto for sure.
LVL.jpg
I also finally got a start on fixing my foundation crack. I think I need to put another layer of mortar then squeeze the crap into the crack:
Crack.jpg
Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

When the turds decided to frame up the wall at my stairs they thought it was awesome to use 2x10 lumber. Of course it made my already small hallway even smaller so I got them to remove it and frame it with 2x4 lumber instead. It left glue and holes in my floor. I'm not sure what I'm going to end up doing about the holes but I have been removing the glue before the guy comes over to polish the floor:
Removing Glue.jpg
I also got a chunk of frost wall down. If you want to see why I cut out the frost wall in that section, check out the picture on this post and it should make sense:

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 90#p147439

In the following picture you can see that I finally cut off the tops of the conduit minus one. I'll be attaching more conduit onto it to reach up to my live room.
Frost Wall Down.jpg
I'm waiting for the flooring guy to come over to check out the job in person and hopefully set up a date for him to come do the job. Exciting!

Greg
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

Well done for soldiering on Greg despite all the opposition you've had. I can see the potential of your space and it's going to be so worth it when it's done, it's starting to turn out real nice and I can't wait to see your salt and pepper floor!

Paul
Paul
Waka

Post by Waka »

You have had a hell of a fight to get to where you are Greg. You did have major turds building your house. Hopefully they didn't screw up the main house part, and just didn't care enough about your studio (It's just a basement right?? :roll:) and cut corners only there.

When you can get out of your ghetto setup and start recording down there, I imagine the jobs will start rolling in so thick and fast you will need an extension! :shock: :lol:

Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
richroyc

Post by richroyc »

Man! great to see the progress! Seeing that 8 foot ladder down there is amazing, I never needed more than a 4 footer in my low ass spot.
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Tiny update:

- Flooring guy quoted me $9000 plus 5% GST
- I emailed the HVAC company who I met with to see if he had got me a parts list yet and he said he would follow up. I haven't heard back.
- I'm not working on my studio anymore for the time being because for pretty much everything I am able to do right now, it's a two person job and my wife and I and our two kids are self isolating. Also, I have no idea what the future holds for us so I'm saving all of my studio build out money to live off of just in case --> my wife shut down her hair salon, I don't want to be near anyone which means no recording, and all live music venues are closed which means zero income.

Greg
Waka

Post by Waka »

Hi Greg,

Just wanted to check in and see how you were doing. Are you back up and running with work etc.

Did you need to make changes to your studio design in the end?

Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.