Self build Skyline Diffusers

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Phil G

Self build Skyline Diffusers

Post by Phil G »

Hi
I am building some Skyline diffusers for my drum room and was hoping I can get some help
regarding their construction.

I have seen template's designs on the internet, which show the base plate size 60.00cm x 60.00cm
grid layout & lengths for the wood cuts etc, to cover 860 Hz to 3440 KHz.
but they don't show the diameter of the wood, in the UK 2" by 2" is the easiest to buy.

Does anybody know the correct diameter for the type of Diffusers?

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Regards Phil G :?
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Re: Self build Skyline Diffusers

Post by Soundman2020 »

Hi.

Please read the forum rules for posting (click here).

You seem to be missing a couple of things! :)
Does anybody know the correct diameter for the type of Diffusers?
What you probably need is to design the diffuser correctly, and tune it correctly, using the proper tool: http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/qrdude.htm

That will allow you to adjust the size of the blocks (they are square, not round, so there is no "diameter", just an edge measurement which applies to both X and Y dimensions of the well).

So, if you wanted to use nominal 2x2 lumber, you would set the "Well Width" parameter to 1.5", then adjust the rest of the parameters to get the tuning you want. With an n=11 setup with 9 1/4" deep well, you would get close to what you asked for: diffusion from 822 to 4526 Hz, with a scatter cut-off down at 411 Hz. I don't know if that's close enough for your application, since you didn't say if the numbers you gave were just an example, or if that's what you actually need for your room. It also would not fit a 60x60cm baseboard. You'd have to try other combinations, or other sizes of wood, if you needed a better match. However, I have a feeling that you won't be able to get what you want: I can't see a solution that would allow you to use nominal 2x2" blocks on a 60cmx60cm baseboard to get that frequency range. You'll probably have to be flexible, and allow something to change there.

- Stuart -
Phil G

Post by Phil G »

Hi Stuart
Thank you for your reply, I see what you mean, I'm basing the build of these panels on
suggestions from Auralex, as I sent my room plans to them.
I have bought Auralex foam panels but unfortunately I can't afford to buy the Sustain quadratec diffusers they recommend,
so I'm down to building them myself.

Would it be better to try to match the diffusers they recommend?
or would you recommend I download a room calculator? if so are there any you would advise.

Thanks again.

Phil G
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Please read the forum rules for posting (click here).
Would it be better to try to match the diffusers they recommend?
Strangely enough, most manufacturers tend to recommend the products that they make and have in stock! I wonder why... :) It would be unusual to see Auralex recommending that you should NOT buy their product, and should instead buy something from GIK or Real Traps... 8)

So take manufacturer's recommendations with a large grain of salt! That's one of the reasons why John does NOT allow any advertising or endorsement of acoustic products or manufacturers on the forum. And curiously enough, we do have forum members who work for many manufacturers, and offer very helpful advice to other members... but they carefully refrain from promoting their own products, which is a good thing.

Rather than going with what a manufacturer recommends on his website, it would be better to do the research and testing to see what YOUR room actually needs, and then either buy or design treatment that is suitable for THAT situation. In other words, figure out what YOUR drums need in YOUR room, and build the right thing. Do you even know for sure that you need diffusion? Or are you just following the suggestion of a manufacturer, who just happens to sell the very expensive device that he says you need? :)

Don't get me wrong: maybe the recommendation is correct, and you really do need diffusion in that range.... but then again, maybe not!

What problems are you having in your room, that make you think you need diffusion? What's wrong with the room? When you play your drums in there, what is it in the sound you hear that annoys you, upsets you, or just doesn't sound quite right? If you can explain that clearly, then perhaps we can point you in the right direction. So start by providing the details of your room, such as dimensions, shape, purpose, existing treatment, layout, problems, etc. Try to be clear about what the drums sound like, and what you feel is wrong with that sound, such as "the kick sounds "boomy" and dull", or "there's no "snap" to the snare, and it sounds muted" or "the toms sound "thin" with not much detail, and lack "punch"". (Of course, I'm assuming that you have a decent kit, with quality elements, and good tuning)...

However, please read the forum rules for posting (click here).

- Stuart -
Phil G

Post by Phil G »

Hi Stuart
Thanks for the reply, I agree the manufactures will always push their own products.
The main issues in the drum room is too much reverb, and the snare needs more snap.
because the room shape helps with standing waves(thanks to John and this forum years ago)
the overall sound is good.
I would like it tighter and more punchy and better defined.
the room is constructed using wooden stud walls filled with insulation and 2 layers of plaster board overlapping.
then simply painted, the floor is a floating and filled with insulation covered with laminate wood.

The drum kit is good, fully tuned with a Mapex Black Panther snare.
There are 3 absorber panels on the walls & ceiling, but these are coming off as old and falling apart now.
I have attached the plans showing sizes in mm and CH=ceiling height.
also some photos and an mp3 audio clip so you can hear the snare in the room.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards Phil G
Phil G

Post by Phil G »

I forgot add the plans with the treatment.