CR Treatment and Tuning---The home stretch!!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Stadank0

Re: CR Treatment and Tuning---The home stretch!!

Post by Stadank0 »

I'll give it a go. Can't gaurantee the validity of the results, but i should be able to provide some rough data that might be useful.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

I know I've been dragging my feet this one.. I pulled myself together and am getting ready to start mounting 2 of the units. Tricky puzzle, this one.....How to assemble the units and have access to mounting them....

As usual, some dimensions were wrong from Stuart to the actual space so I'm having to retrofit some stuff. Almost got it sorted and will hopefully have some interesting construction pics up over the next few days....
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Ripping off the band aid and beginning the test fitting process....rains coming, so I might get slowed down a bit.
20191125_130433.jpg
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

On a side note....I'm having an issue with transmission loss in the LR. I'm looking for anyone who might the answer to this question. What is the best glass panel composition? Is it monolithic 1/2-5/8" glass, dual pane, etc...? I know laminated is better than not.

My situation is that I bought dual pane 1/4" over 1/4" sliding doors. Stuart was very hard to get details from in cases like this and I mis-interpreted the model. He actually had it as 1/2 monolithic glass. I want to replace the slider glass in the LR because its getting some occasional noise complaints and I know that this is the weakest link. Also the sound is loudest near that area when standing outside the building.

The best I can do with the existing slider is go to 1/4" over 5/16" or 1/4" over 1/4" laminated, due to the fact that I only have a 3/4" overall thickness to work with.I originally didn't go laminated because I was worried about escaping the room in the event of a partial structure failure resulting from an earthquake. We get those here....I'd have a hard time busting out a laminated pane.

Going with solid monolithic glass presents possible frame failure issues with the vinyl frame above 1/2", so the glass company tells me.

What to do?
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

If you can go 1/2" plate glass (float glass) that would be the best way to go.

cheers
john
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Thanks John,

Much appreciated. I'm Sure that I can..Just have to put spacers in to fill the 3/4" gap. Just to be clear. Plate glass is better than a two 1/4" piece laminate sandwich?

I'll assume yes if I don't hear back because that is what you said. Been getting strong laminate suggestions from the glass folks...Rather take your word for it for obvious reasons.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

"Plate glass is better than a two 1/4" piece laminate sandwich?"

Yes!
John Sayers Productions

If this site helps you build your studio please use the Donate button.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Goodie! I'll sleep better now... :D

Thanks
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Been ahwile....I had a lot of bad weather, then I was just plain using the studio and in no mood to tackle this...Happily, I'm down to a solid process and should see the next three go way smoother. I'll build and put the swinging doors on after all units are mounted on the wall.

Beefed up the LR slider glass to 5/8" float in the end...I also swapped out a 3/16" pane in the LR Milgard Quiet line windows to 1/2"...All of that knocked down the noise several db outside, which made the neighbors happy.

There will probably be some fairly regular photos until I finish this. Then that's all folks!
20200210_174007.jpg
20200210_174013.jpg
20200216_130230.jpg
20200216_130238.jpg
20200217_234646.jpg
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Actually, something has been on my mind for awhile. Does anybody care if I keep posting? My purpose for this thread was to give Stuart an incentive to finish my project by showcasing his work... Clearly that's no longer necessary. I have never felt any sense of community about this, since nobody interacts with me or contributes to any real discussion.

Basically, i feel like this a one way street snd I'm kinda over it... I'm really enjoying the studio now which is truly amazing. This thread has had over 100,000 views now and yet I have developed zero relationships through this experience on the forum.

I'm sure somebody out there could understand why this feels like a waste of my time....
DownBeatJ

Post by DownBeatJ »

I am new around here, but following your thread and loving all what you have done. So awesome. You must be proud of that. I very much want to see how you finish all of it. Please do keep on making posts with the details.
Waka

Post by Waka »

Stadank0 wrote:Actually, something has been on my mind for awhile. Does anybody care if I keep posting? My purpose for this thread was to give Stuart an incentive to finish my project by showcasing his work... Clearly that's no longer necessary. I have never felt any sense of community about this, since nobody interacts with me or contributes to any real discussion.

Basically, i feel like this a one way street snd I'm kinda over it... I'm really enjoying the studio now which is truly amazing. This thread has had over 100,000 views now and yet I have developed zero relationships through this experience on the forum.

I'm sure somebody out there could understand why this feels like a waste of my time....
Hi Stadank0,
I've had a similar experience to yourself. I've not been very busy on my studio for a while as life has got in the way a bit. I noticed that the views are extremely high on many threads, but people aren't very chatty. I suppose this forum tends to be quite professional, and people might feel they need to contribute something of substance to a build thread. This could contribute to less forming relationships.

I've loved reading your thread and very much hope you continue to post your progress. It's looking fantastic and I'm sure it sounds amazing too

I think a community atmosphere would be beneficial to user retention etc on this forum. Might be worth brainstorming with John ways to help with that.

Dan
Stay up at night reading books on acoustics and studio design, learn Sketchup, bang your head against a wall, redesign your studio 15 times, curse the gods of HVAC silencers and door seals .... or hire a studio designer.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Thanks for the replies guys.....much appreciated. I have mixed emotions about this whole experience for obvious reasons. On the professional side, I want nothing to do with another acoustic designer as long as I live. I don't say this just to be nasty and bitter. I say this because there is no consensus of professionalism or information. Its the wild west...Every designer is in there own little bunker protecting their egos. There's very little established science for which the professional community can come to any agreement, and boy did I have my ass handed to me in the meantime.

Coming back here just feels bad, cause I only feel like I'm doing it to prove that I wasn't beaten.

I am really pleased with the results of the studio itself and proud of it too. It certainly blows everyone away that have seen and heard it.

I'll keep posting for now. I just needed to feel like there was something good spirited about being here. I don't really have anything else to prove now that I've gotten to this point, so I was ready to drop it otherwise.

There's a fairly well known designer named Andre (Avare on gearslutz) who has a slogan in his signature that says "Good studio building is 90% design and 10% construction"....to that I say :finger:
Purelythemusic

Post by Purelythemusic »

Mate, I’m not as far along in my studio build as you are but having the threads on a forum does help countless people...I agree with Dan, people (and myself) are reluctant to post on a thread unless they feel they can contribute... almost needs like Main Thread with sub threads with conversation/audience comments.

I’m a builder and still, building a studio has been somewhat exhausting... most things take twice as long as normal building. The tolerances are smaller, the known ‘robust details’ in construction don’t apply so you rely on designers committing or your own design... which often lacks knowledge or experience so you miss things! Build threads are key for this last bit!
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Moreover, you have to figure out how to build most of these features yourself... Even with a good bit of building experience.. things often take more than twice as long. I'm glad I had a machining background and was familiar with programming and running CNCs. If I hadn't gotten access to a CNC router, my life would have been a living hell! What would have taken me several months to fabricate by hand, I was able to do in about a month.

I could go on and on, but I absolutely agree with what you're saying and then some! I was getting 0 feedback from anything I was posting, so it was starting to feel pointless. Personally, I have all of the information I need, so this is more for other people's benifit. It most likely would have turned out a bit better if I had the testing feedback from Stuart, but I couldn't stand to suffer him anymore. No regrets there. Fortunately, the LR is solid either way.

Thanks again for the moral support all! :mrgreen:

I do feel that I should make a point about acoustic design itself... For all my complaining about the people side of the equation, acoustic design is hugely important and not to be taken lightly. This studio would not have come out anywhere near as good had the knowledge not been available through Stuart. I'm sorry to say that the human behavior side of the equation leaves much to be desired. It is very concerning to me that the knowledge as a whole is not well-managed or preserved by this community thus far. There is no solid foundation to preserve or aquire this information that I have seen in my travels. I get the feeling that my experience is highly unusual. It's a miracle that I got as far as I did at this level, and I suspect that not many people do as a whole. I see it as a serious dilemma for studio building. There is no way I could reproduce this under the circumstances. I guarantee you I wouldn't even try. If this place ever burns down, which is a very real possibility in this climate change era, I would never try to rebuild it.( I live in a forested area with an increasing fire danger) fingers crossed on that one of course!