CR Treatment and Tuning---The home stretch!!

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Purelythemusic

Re: CR Treatment and Tuning---The home stretch!!

Post by Purelythemusic »

Ha!

Hope not! Yea it has been a long journey for you... I thought the CNC was in use... crazy, I’ll have to get a company to do those types of details.

I’m yet to get into acoustically treating my room... still on the isolation side of things. It seems the isolation science is clear and more learnable than the acoustic treatment to get such high quality results.

Your thread will have no doubt been a massive benefit to many people and more to come!

Well done my friend, your endurance looks good ; )
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

I used what's called a "maker space" if your in the states. Its a coop of machinery that you pay a membership to have access to. I stumbled into that through word of mouth. Thank god I did. I would have been screwed. They are somewhat uncommon and mostly centered around burning man folk.

If you ever get any design work done on modeling software like I did, you can translate that to cut files for a cnc. There is a bit of a learning curve, but its certainly doable as I demonstrated here.

For anybody that has any options to go down this path, feel free to reach out to me for any tips I can share.

As always, thanks for the kind words... It helps!
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Well some things never change.. Looks like Stuart's up to his old tricks over on Gear Slutz....Another poor sucker calling Stuart out, wondering where his money went...

On behalf of everyone you've handled this way including myself....... :finger:
Last edited by Stadank0 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

I'd like to echo the Purelythemusic's sentiments. Your experience, thoughts and insight are incredibly helpful to bozos like me ( the same is true for Purelythemusic as well as many others) and I'm certain that is also true for more knowledgable and experienced members. Part of the reason I don't tend to comment on build and design threads is that I simply don't feel qualified to; I'm struggling to justify my own design, so anything I might have to say about anyone else's always seems like a bit of a stretch. I would heartily encourage you to keep posting if you have the time and energy - it is greatly appreciated!
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Will do John. The feedback I've been getting from you guys is all I needed...much appreciated.

I'll go into a bit more detail on my next picture post about what these wall units are actually doing...
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Frank,

I know we haven't stayed in touch as much as I would have liked but I truly feel like I made a friend here on the forum! Life has been so damned busy (trying to make money and be a dad/son/brother/husband) I can barely keep up trying to help people on the forum let alone building my studio or staying in touch with friends :cry:

But on behalf of everyone on the forum, I can say that your thread very well be the best one on the forum. Please stick around and if anything, post MORE photos of your process. You've been an inspiration to us all, I assure you.

Also, with your tuning and building experience, you'd be a great asset to have here at the forum answering questions. Even when Stuart was here, it was tough to keep up with everyone's questions. Please visit the site more and answer questions when you can!

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

OK then! :thu:
audiomutt

Post by audiomutt »

Stadank0 wrote:Actually, something has been on my mind for awhile. Does anybody care if I keep posting? My purpose for this thread was to give Stuart an incentive to finish my project by showcasing his work... Clearly that's no longer necessary. I have never felt any sense of community about this, since nobody interacts with me or contributes to any real discussion.

Basically, i feel like this a one way street snd I'm kinda over it... I'm really enjoying the studio now which is truly amazing. This thread has had over 100,000 views now and yet I have developed zero relationships through this experience on the forum.

I'm sure somebody out there could understand why this feels like a waste of my time....
Frank - your little control room is what inspired me to fully take the plunge on my own build! This thread is one of four I've bookmarked to keep following up on just to see how it comes out. I stepped away from the forum after Stuart accepted my money and then stopped returning emails after 2 messages. Then an email to John asking for a recommendation went unanswered and I felt mixed emotions. Luckily for me, I've gained so much knowledge from Stuarts posts I view the money as a donation for sharing... don't get me wrong, it still does feel a little dirty. But, Stuart is a smart guy and I hope he works through some issues, really grows, and maybe gets another chance (in the forums, not by me lol).

Anyway, I don't comment much because I don't have any valuable knowledge to offer. To check up on your progress is why I'm back today though. If you were in FL I'd probably be asking to come over to your spot!

Really appreciate you sharing the adventure!
My clever signature is in the works...
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Thanks man! Your comments were just what I needed....I'll stick around! What I went through on the "professional" side of things has left me very bitter towards the lot. Wish I could say better. I was treated like the nobody that I am and I'll never forget that. I'll never have their respect, but It means a lot to have all of yours!

I'm just sorry that I inspired you to end up getting burned by Stuart. Bet he's wishing he hadn't power tripped me and locked my thread now.

Thanks guys!!

I've got another unit up on the wall. I'll work on a post tomorrow to detail these things a bit more.....
20200228_160954 (1).jpg
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Frank, they look gorgeous!!! The totally variable treatment must be cool to hear in person hey!?? Also, how'd you end up tuning the membrane in them?

Greg
It appears that you've made the mistake most people do. You started building without consulting this forum.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Hey Greg,

I haven't built the doors, so no variable yet. I'll put a post together tomorrow morning detailing these things better so you all can have an idea of what's going on. I didn't tune them. "he who shall not be named did" :P

Results may vary for anybody who attempts these. "You know who" struggled for weeks playing with his calcs to figure out how to pull off the multi function features. (Combination helmholtz/membrane) Since there is no testing feedback, its hard to know if they even work. The room sounds great, so I'm not going to sweat the accuracy of any of the rest of this treatment. I'll do some testing in the end. I will say that the units have tamed the low end effectively. The room is not as boomy as it once was.....Sooo, good things I guess???
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Hey all,

Got some wind in my sails and good weather, so I'm working frantically...I'll put a more comprehensive post together soon, but I want to push hard while running on all cylinders. Also, I keep forgetting to take all of the photos I need to when the internals are still visible cause I'm in a work frenzy...Got a few more pics to take, which I'll get this time around.
20200304_162505.jpg
Gregwor

Post by Gregwor »

Gorgeous work as usual!

Greg
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

Plus one Frank! Can't wait to see how your variable acoustic treatment works in the real world. The whole installation is tremendous.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

Thank god for the CNC!